Shooting blanks

Posted on February 16, 2009 8:53 pm

Newsday reports that New York’s new Senator, Kirsten Gillibrand (D), is removing two rifles from under her bed:

Sen. Kirsten Gillibrand (D-N.Y.) has moved the two rifles that she kept under the bed to protect her upstate New York home, her spokesman Matt Canter said Monday.

“Given that the location of the guns has been disclosed, they have been moved for security reasons,” Canter said.

That’s silly.

They’re saying that now that people know where she keeps them, it’s a problem.

I don’t understand the problem.

If we had a female Senator in, say, Georgia, Alabama, Tennessee, or some other southern state, and if she kept her guns under her bed, she’d not only tell the reporter doing an interview, she’d have a sign up in the yard warning anyone who dared try unauthorized entry into the home.

I guess that means I can’t be a Senator from New York.

Their loss.

1 Star (Hated it)2 Stars3 Stars4 Stars5 Stars (Awesome) (37 votes, average: 4.97 out of 5)

Tags: ,

31 Responses to “Shooting blanks”

1. Charon Blackpowder says:

But Frank, in your example the gun grabbers only know that the guns are in the house, but with her, the gun grabbers know where in the house her guns are, so they could just go in, look under the bed, yell “Ah HAH!” and grab her guns. They probably just moved them into a closet to keep them guessing.

2. Dohtimes says:

First they come for your guns, then they come for your dust bunnies.

3. TheeDr says:

“I guess that means I can’t be a Senator from New York.”

Would any gun-toting, God loving, red-blooded American really WANT to be a Senator from New York???
    I didn’t think so.

4. Scott F. says:

“Heck, there are eight shoulder-fired weapons (rifles and shotguns) and two hand-held weapons in my bedroom. Yes, they’re loaded.”

What – you don’t sleep inside a fully operational APC? Nancy boy.

[Haven't since Kuwait. - B]

5. Cactusod says:

It must be very cool being a NY Senator. Even her guns now have a security detail.

I still don’t understand how that woman was ever nominated for a New York Senate.

7. Peren says:

She actually has bombs under her bed, and sleeps in the living room now. Smart robbers will think she’s just saying the guns aren’t under the bed so that’ll be the last place they’ll look. When they look for them, they get their arms blown off. Then they try to run out of the house, but she’s already woken up from the couch and locked all the doors. With fire. Fire that throws hammers.

8. seanmahair says:

My attitude is “come get them, please I need the practice” or when the gun grabbers come to grab them, you tell them to go away, they tell you to go to hell and you tell them “Race ya’ “. Sounds like a good time to me.

I still don’t understand how that woman was ever nominated for a New York Senate seat.

Maybe she just said she moved them to throw off any intruders.

11. ussjimmycarter says:

I’m sure hubby now sleeps in the basement so that guns are at her side in bed! Good Senator!!!

12. midwestconservative says:

ALL OF MY GUNS WERE STOLEN and 25,000 rounds to boot. Thats my story and I’m sticking to it. Just a warning — do not come to look for my guns you might get shot

13. JimC214 says:

She probably thinks everyone keeps there guns under there bed. So she did a “Me Too”!

14. Kent says:

We should really have a comment thing where people say “if you could have only one gun, $500 or less, what would it be?”

I’m debating between two extremes, revolver for reliablity/maintainablity, and a clip-load such as a used Glock for magazine capacity and light weight when hiking. Also debating between .45 and 9mm. Gun number 2 would be shoulder mount, as maybe would 3, so it actually does matter to say which to get.

Ironically, the same issues I’m dealing with in helping a friend select a digital camera next weekend.

15. Basil says:

That would be an interesting discussion … particularly with the gun show in Columbus this weekend.

16. Plentyobailouts says:

#14 Kent, If you could only hav e1 gun? thats like saying you can only have 1 potato chip. They get lonely you know. Late at night, when they creep out of your drawer and go killing people, your guns like company. I bought a companion for mine, then they both got lonely, and we can’t have that, its bad for their self esteem. So remember, democrats will screw everybody, but a gun is always faithful.

17. Ed Flinn says:

Removing two, but doesn’t say how many she’s left there. Maybe she’s just making space, removing these to the sun room in case of Connecticut-like chimpanzee attack!

18. motopolitico says:

One gun, $500 or less??? Definitely a Remington 870 or Mossberg 500 series 12 gauge. Nothing is more versatile than a 12 gauge.

19. ussjimmycarter says:

“The Judge” is always a good choice!

20. comatus says:

Thanks Peren. I’ll let you off the hook for leaving out the laser beams, since I guess all Mall Ninja guns come with them now anyway.

21. marvin says:

If you can only have one gun, then I recommend either a good .357 magnum revolver, or a good Glock. I used to be one of those people who thought that a 9mm was a girl’s gun, but with the new hollow point ammo, you can load a 9mm with ammo that makes each shot more lethal then a plain .45 full metal jacket round. You want hollow points for two reasons. First, they have more stopping power. Second, a good hollow point (there are a lot of cheap hollow points that don’t work) will transfer all its energy into the target, and not over penetrate.

Over penetration is bad. If you round goes through the bad guy, and then stops two hundred yards down the road, then there is the chance that it kills an innocent, and worse yet, you had about 200 yards of traveling power, that could have been used as killing power on the bad guy. Some good hollow points are known to transfer all their kinetic energy into making a really big hole in the target, then popping out the other side, and landing somewhere in the bag of the thug’s shirt.

22. Aaron Horrocks says:

Does shoulder-fired weapons also include rocket launchers?

23. DesertElephant says:

She just move them to under the body pillow she keeps on the bed. I always sleep with my fingers wrapped around the grip of my .357 and the index finger resting on the trigger guard. I sleep very well. :-) Of course, given where I live in Mesa, I don’t even get up to go to the bathroom at night without a weapon in the waistband of my PJs.

24. Barak Obammie says:

ONLY MY ObammenCenturions will be armed.

I, as YOUR Mighty and Invincible Leader, will go forth armed with the MOST DEVASTATING weapon in MY arsenal: my WINNING personality.

Yea, verily, mah brothaz,Mine enemies will fall before Me, conceding victories as I negotiate without conditions and release them from the binding confines of Guantanamo to be cast out into the wilderness.

Yea, my Homies, tho enemies may wreak explosions and all manner of deviltries upon My populace, my WINNING, Pepsodent smile and vapid blatherings will vanquish all and win the day!

So let this be written…so let it be done.

25. NunyaB says:

Gitmo prisoners cast out into the wilderness…also known as Target Practice.

26. Plentyobailouts says:

Everytime one of them new yourk schmucks opens thier mouths, a little bit of Americas dies. It just amazes me that these idiots can be that anti-American and not be drugged through the streets. democrats must just be stupid people.
    On a lighter note, I have seen schmucky schumer targets for sale. I used my last one a couple of weeks ago, so if anyone has a link to them it would be appreciated.

27. 4 of 7 says:

A recent home-invasion robbery near here was swarted(?) when the home-owner pulled a saber from under his living-room couch and cut off the invader’s trigger finger.
    The intruder fled but the police used the fingerprint they got from the severed finger to track down and arrest the culprit.
    The home owner said he kept the sword for cutting weeds and brush in his back yard.
    Personally, I prefer projectile weapons, but in close quarters, with the element of surprise, I can see where that might just provide the ‘edge’ one needs for victory.
    I once misinterpreted a comment here about ‘claymore’s’ and I’m not advocating a return to swashbuckling, but even in states and cities that don’t honor a citizen’s 2nd ammendment rights to self-defense, axes, machetes, movie-prop-replica-swords and antique war-memoribilia blades are probably still available.
    (And I don’t think you don’t have to register them – at least, not yet).

28. everydayjoe says:

If you don’t have a loaded weapon for each and every room of your house, – you need to buy more weapons.

29. 4 of 7 says:

Oops. Disregard one of those ‘don’t's.

30. GuyTar says:

Gillibrand is Paterson’s choice for interim replacement of Hillary Clinton as Senator for New York. Gillibrand has somehow earned a Number One rating from the NRA. She recently boasted about keeping rifles under her bed in case she needed to protect her family. Good grief. What responsible mother with young children keeps rifles in easy reach of her kids? The woman is obviously a complete idiot about weapons, and is just sprouting stupid media sound bites that appeal to the NRA political gun lobby and it’s political fundraising machine.

Sorry Gillibrand. You are such a hypocrite. Keeping rifles under your bed is no way to keep your family safe. It is far more likely that your children will innocently find these weapons under your bed.

Come on Kirsty. Have a look at the documented research on gun tragedies in innocent families.

31. 4 of 7 says:

The report says nothing about how many guns her kids keep under their beds.