* So we’re leaving Iraq now for good. I’m not sure if we won or if we just got tired of it (maybe that’s the same thing). I guess that’s good. Or bad. Or something. I have no idea anymore.
The thing is, though, there will still be thousands of armed Americans in Iraq — it’s just that they’ll be “contractors”. I guess that’s the new way to fudge things, because they’ll run around shooting people and getting shot but no one ever counts them as American troops. I wonder if we’ll see more contractor deployments in the future as a way to pretend we don’t have a military presence in places.
“Yes, we have no military presence in that country — just 10,000 contractors.”
“Well… contract stuff. You know, renovating kitchens, building indoor swimming pools, murdering dictators…”
* Obama’s approval rating has a hit a new low in Gallup. The only president who had a lower 11th quarter average in approval than Obama was Carter, so he’s still the low watermark. All Obama has to do now is aim to be better than Carter and hopefully lose the presidency in a somewhat competitive election instead of a huge landslide.
* Bobby Jindal won reelection to Governor of Louisiana in a landslide Saturday, getting 66% of the vote against nine other opponents. The DNC didn’t even bother supporting anyone against him. Jindal just needs to be careful to keep hiding the fact that he’s a minority, as people are very racist in the South… especially Republicans.
* Joe Biden said he hasn’t ruled out a 2016 run for president, which makes him the only one left in America who hasn’t ruled that out.
Then again, if we don’t support him for president, he may rape and murder us.
* In hippie news, Occupy Wall Street protesters in England (kind of far from Wall Street) have shut down St. Paul’s Cathedral. It’s the first time since the Blitz the cathedral was shut down. So, SMELLY HIPPIES ARE AS BAD AS BEING BOMBED BY NAZIS!!!
Also, since Occupy Wall Street protesters are just like us, they spend most of their time talking and debating about drums. Are they really so clueless that they think “drumming circle” means anything to anyone else other than “dumb hippies”?
* Fareed Zakaria, that really weird guy with that freaky Cheshire Cat grin, says there should be a 50% inheritance tax, because, I guess, the government really owns everything and we should just basically just surrender this idea of private property to it. What we really need is some sort of restraining order we can issue to certain people to keep them away from government, because I really want to make sure thinking like that never even comes within a hundred yards of actual policy. Man, it’s so much easier when people with views like these are in an enemy nation so you just shoot them; it’s confusing on what to do when they’re citizens of your own country.
* Wisdom of the Day: “Our son’s teacher emailed us to be ‘vigilante’ about head lice. Time to go turn in my badge. But not my gun.” –Scott Simpson
* 22 more days until Obama: The Greatest President in the History of Everything comes out. I hope you’re all working to save up that $1.99.
I’ve also got the first seven chapters of my SF novel ready for people to give a critique of (and will have the rest ready soon). Tell me if you’re interested in giving it a look. I’m not at this point as interested in edits as I am high-level critiques like whether the story is at all engaging and what you think of the characters. I would just post the chapters here on the blog, but I’m worried about that causing problems with publishers later on.