Cartoon of the Day: Sit, Newt, Sit!

Posted on January 26, 2012 4:06 pm

I thought this was funny.

[Direct link: Chuck Assay]

I used to work in Jacksonville. Them folks don’t like other folks coming to town to tell them to sit down and shut up. If the crowd is actually people from Jacksonville, I expect they’ll cheer, boo, or whatever, if they feel like it. If they are a bunch of transplants or college kids, they’ll follow meekly along.

Florida isn’t a southern state, except by accident of geography. Jacksonville, though, is a southern city. Or it was last time I was there.

So, are you going to watch the debate tonight?

1 Star (Hated it)2 Stars3 Stars4 Stars5 Stars (Awesome) (8 votes, average: 5.00 out of 5)

Tags: , , , ,

28 Responses to “Cartoon of the Day: Sit, Newt, Sit!”

1. CarolynthePregnant says:

Am I the only person who read this and thought, “Sit Ubu, sit. Good dog.” “Ruff!”

2. hwuu says:

Is this one actually on a broadcast channel? Will the moderator hit Newt with a rolled up newspaper?

In the cartoon is Santorum the Golden retriever?

3. Mike says:

@CarolynthePregnant: Ditto!

4. Basil says:

hwuu:
    It’s on the CNN channel. Which is cable or satellite. Which I don’t have.

If they stream it, I may be able to watch it. If I feel like it. Right now, the heater/AC man is working on the heater/AC unit.

5. Mike says:

No, hwuu, RP is the Golden Retriever because his tongue is hanging out like a crazy person. Rick Santorum is the sad little Heinz 57 at the far end

Bulldogs… Georgia… synonymous.

Newt… media… assault.

Camera… CNN… Democrat.

Game… rigged..

7. Basil says:

Newt actually went to West Georgia College. I think it’s West Georgia University or something like that now. They were the Braves back then. But then they got all politically correct and are now the Wolves. Just as well. They weren’t brave enough to stand up to the PC crowd.

8. blarg says:

wait…..Georgia has a university??

“So, are you going to watch the debate tonight?”

I don’t know. Who does the GOP have lined up to moderate this one, George Soros?

10. blarg says:

I really wish elections had a “Fast Forward” button like my DVR so I could just skip all the ads and get this election over wtih.

Actually, Basil, I was trying to say that I associate bulldogs with the State of Georgia – not the University where the Bulldogs play.

No, really, I do. I see a bulldog and I immediately think: Georgia. This is odd since my high school football team went by “Bulldogs” also.

And, yes, I like grits.

12. Basil says:

> I associate bulldogs with the State of Georgia
    I know Paul Johnson and Jeff Monken wouldn’t be happy to hear that.

13. Crabby Old Bat says:

Jimmy says: Camera… CNN… Democrat.

Once again, Jimmy beats me to the obervation. I definitely found the donkeys behind the broadcast cameras the “truthiest” part of this cartoon.

14. John says:

The first 18 years of my life I was raised in jacksonville, and didn’t venture far from home. When I did move away I honestly couldn’t understand why people would say Florida wasn’t truely a southern state.

15. AwesometificAmerican says:

Yeah I was born and raised in Jacksonville. I now live in central Florida and every once in a while venture into South Florida. This state has layers. North Florida is what you would consider a true southern state, the further south you go it just gets weirder.

16. Basil says:

John:
    Jacksonville, though a fairly large city, is (or at least, was) a southern city. More so than Atlanta, though not as southern as Savannah.

Duval County, including the town of Baldwin, are definitely southern. Most of the surrounding areas of Jax, such as Baker County (you can tell I spent a lot of time on the west side of Jax) are definitely southern. And, much of the people in the rural areas of Florida are definitely southern. But, then you got your Orlando and your Tampa and your Miami and … well, you get the idea. Most of the people aren’t southern. Jax suffered form that from the out-of-towners working in the insurance companies and such.

True, Florida is a right-to-work state. In fact, it’s part of the state constitution, not legislative action. But, I still maintain that, by the volume of people from out-of-state that now live there, and because of the culture of the big cities, it’s not a southern state.

17. Basil says:

AwesometificAmerican:
    That’s actually a better description than I had.

I used to tell a long-winded story about going south.

When you leave Maryland and DC, and enter Virginia, you can tell you’re getting into the south. When you cross into North Carolina, you are in the South. Hit the South Carolina line, and you’re getting into the Deep South. Cross the Savannah River into Georgia, and you have arrived in the South. But, as soon as you cross the St. Johns River into Florida, you’re suddenly heading north again.

I think it’s truer now than ever.

18. John says:

Basil,

I agree with your assessment. I was just making the point that half a lifetime ago I didn’t understand all of that, as to that point I’d lived my entire life in the vicinity of Normandy Blvd and Cassat Ave…

Now I live half-way between Savannah and Charleston, and it’s perfect except for the sand fleas.

19. AwesometificAmerican says:

Its true Basil. I used to say that North Florida could really be considered South Georgia and South Florida could be considered North Cuba, or South New York and Central Florida is like milky layer where the two mix. Basically Central Florida is the pudding skin of the state.

Whoa. Watching the debate…

Now I know who Rick Santorum is.

He just kicked Ron Paul’s ass.

First look at Santorum! (for me)

21. plentyobailouts says:

RICKY!!!11!!!1 RICKY1111!!!!!1111 RICKY!!!1!!1

All of this discussion of Florida and not one person has mentioned what it looks like. Why do I feel like singing about Oscar Mayer all of a sudden.

#20 – Jimmy,
    Join the fight!

Nothing wrong with a Heinz 57, they have hybrid vigor pure-breeds lack.
    Mutts unite!

23. CarolynthePregnant says:

I married a guy from Nashville. My first visit there I was taken to Pancake Pantry and the waitress put every kind of grit in front of me to try when she heard I was from the north and had never had grits. I still don’t know what grits are, but they’re kind of yummy.

24. CarolynthePregnant says:

By the way, Jimmy:

Where’s our special funding? We’re redheads. Do you know that some scientificish study was done and supposedly redheads will be gone in another generation or two? We’re an endangered species. Even sperm banks are asking for redheads not to donate. What is this world coming to?! Which POTUS candidate will speak for us!? I thought no one was as Irish as O’bama but that isn’t quite working out.

I’ve no time for debates. I’ve something much more exciting to do. I’m going to watch my toenails grow for a couple of hours.

26. TheFlyingPhoton says:

Florida brought back the death penalty, and was the one to come up with the idea of concealed carry.
    Florida is absolutely a southern state.

27. Basil says:

The death penalty, thrown out under Furman vs Georgia, was brought back by several states, and upheld by Gregg vs Georgia. Utah was the first state to carry it out (Gary Gilmore) following the Gregg vs Georgia ruling.

CarolyntheVeryPregnant – I heard about that study! But you know what? Redhead genes are everywhere! Oh, and you should have seen my red beard and steely blue eyes back in the day. One word: Viking. And one of my sons is copper read and he flies choppers and kills Taliban for lunch. I think Red will survive. I’m hoping for a redheaded grandson at some point. Wish me luck.