Are Men Funnier Than Women?

Posted on June 20, 2012 1:00 pm

I saw a lot of comedians on Twitter suddenly get angry at Adam Carolla. Apparently, he said that women aren’t funny. Actually, he said that women are less funny on average. While he listed some women he thought are really funny, he said there’s a lower standard for women. Basically, if you had a man who was as funny as Joy Behar, we’d have never heard of him (actually, I still don’t quite get why I know who Behar is).

Is this true? Is there a sort of humor affirmative action where we have lower standard to call women funny when compared to men? When I think of really funny comedians, by far most are men — but maybe there are lots of funny women but they just don’t consider a career in comedy as often as men would. This kind of remind me of those statements so often about how conservatives aren’t funny — but, of course, that doesn’t cause a knee-jerk backlash of righteous indignation.

And if men are funnier, why is that? Probably to help pick up women. They always say they like a good sense of humor. It certainly helped me. Do men like a sense of humor in women, though? I think we just mainly like them to laugh at our jokes. And look pretty and smell nice.

Anyway, I will try to teach Buttercup the secrets of humor and we’ll see how it goes. I think she has great potential, but she’s mostly into physical comedy right now.

1 Star (Hated it)2 Stars3 Stars4 Stars5 Stars (Awesome) (10 votes, average: 4.30 out of 5)

19 Responses to “Are Men Funnier Than Women?”

1. Mxymaster says:

Of course men are funnier. We look weird, have crinkly facial hair, ugly feet, and we stink. We’d BETTER be funny.

2. Robotimecop says:

Most women ARE funnier than Adam Carolla

3. Bunkerhillbilly says:

Thinking about comedians and comediennes…I can recall being folded over in laughing spasms at the work of Kinison. Could a woman pull off that schtick? Gilbert Gottfried riffing? Jonathan Winters? What’s the distaff equivalent in stand-up? Yes, Courtney Love is trying willfully to impersonate Kinison-but that’s most likely unintentional. Gracie Allen? Not the same riff style as Lenny Bruce. Not to be purely Caucasio-centric, but could you see Ellen Degeneres trying her quirky-fumfer bit at a Def Comedy Jam? Or Showtime At The Apollo?

Just riffing.

“Touchdown!”

That’s a good start, Frank.

5. hwuu says:

I think we are just experiencing a lull is women’s comedy today. There have been some terrific female comedians in years past but not so much lately.

6. plentyobailouts says:

Women can only be funny after making pie. And of course the dishes are done.

Are women funny? Who cares, as long as we get laid.

Homosexual women are not funny. Unless they are driving a smart car and trying to put on makeup.

Women with guns are funny,if they tell me they are.

Is adam corolla a homosexual woman?

My theory – to be funny, usually you have to hurt someone’s feeling by making them the butt of the joke. In men this is considered assertive, dominant behavior, and generally admired.

In women, it’s considered “being bitchy,” and it makes a woman unpleasant to be around.

So yeah, women can be as funny as men, but they’ll get fewer dates from doing it.

8. Apostic says:

There’s a link between making people laugh and aggression. Women, by either cultural conditioning or genetics — you decide, tend to be less aggressive than men.

BTW, there are some people who seem to substitute aggression for comedy. See also: “edgy”

9. blarg says:

I think it’s true…at the very least women are less funny to men.

not to say there aren’t some exceptionally funny women like Madaline Kahn and Carrol Burnett, but on average, women are less funny…at least to men.

10. Burmashave says:

A) Is this the most potentially offensive statement to come from Adam Corolla?

2) I disagree with Corolla. I took a look at Yoko Ono’s new Dirt Pile Exhibition at a London museum, and she made me double over laughing.

Perhaps Ono’s comedy should grace a topic.

11. Keln says:

Most men can do certain things better than most women, and most women can do certain things better than most men. It is what it is: men and women are different and generally have a different view of the world. I think men have a tendency to find humor in things more readily than women do, so comedy comes easier to us. Women seem to look for the emotional component of things, so they are more “sensetive”. So if someone trips and falls on their face, a man is more likely to laugh and a woman is more likely to feel bad for that person.

12. Jeff the Macedonian says:

Do women tell fart jokes? No. Case closed.

13. CrustyB says:

Women don’t need to be funny. They have bosoms.

14. Fly says:

I fall between Jeff’s farts and Harvey’s hurt feelings: Propriety — the extroverted part of morality. It affects women, Conservatives, Christians, and butlers.

Being funny is taking the risk of offending, being misunderstood, being mean or racist, or worse, being unfunny. You don’t actually have to offend anyone, in fact mere offense often isn’t funny, but you need to feel free to offend. The more filters you have on what is permitted, the harder it is to be funny. So you don’t even try.

And then you come across a blog, let’s call it IMHO, and they let you pick an anonymous name, like Flew, and you get to let the funniness rip on political issues regardless of the consequences, such as a total lack of High Praise.

What’s amazing is that we give each other rope. We make allowances for trying to be funny. We forgive!

While I can’t say I’ve ever been attracted to a female comic on TV, I can say that the most attractive women I’ve met in real life are funny. Goofy even. But rarely in an improper way. That must be hard.

So that might also explain why liberals seem quantitatively funnier: they lack moral boundaries and the sense of propriety surrounding them. That’s also why it’s harder to be a conservative comedian whose trying to work on being more Christiany. Does anyone here doubt that Frank is a genius? And not just a comic genius, but a very clever regular, run off the mill one.

I know you, you are going to skip this comment because it is too long. I don’t blame you, I just want you to know that I know that you are going to skip it, because I would skip it, too, and I want you to feel just a little bit guilty about that, because I do, when I skip comments. But it never pans out, does it?

TL;DR

Good day to you, sir!

PS – Fly, email me something that has entertainment value (text-based humor preferred) and we’ll see about some High Praise! for you.

16. Fly says:

D’oh! That was supposed to be text-base humor. I’ll try to find some more. Good day, Harvey! :-)

17. Ivan Ivanovich says:

Need I mention Lucy?
    Yes, there were many men also. The list is too long.
    But it can be explained with the Bell curve. Men have a wider and flatter curve with more of the population at the extremes. More dumbasses and more geniuses.

18. Rock Throwing Peasant says:

Comedians bomb…a lot.

You need to handle rejection, in your face rejection, and get on the stage again and again to hone your craft.

Who gets more in your face rejection? Men or women?

I think this points to why there were funnier female comics years ago (compared to female comics today). Those women had to fight for a place at the table. Now, the door is open and all you have to do is be able to handle humiliation to succeed.

19. hadsil says:

I would hope women are not funnier. When we have our first female President, I would hate for her to be more of a joke than the current office holder.