Nuke the News: Coming Up with an Attack

Posted on June 5, 2012 11:00 am

* It’s the Wisconsin recall election today. Scott Walker is expected to win it easily and the once powerful unions are expected to be humiliated (which is on their path to being forgotten). Obama is trying to stay away from this mess to not get the stink of failure on him (he has enough of his own failure to deal with), so all he did was write one tweet in support of the Democrat running against Walker. Yep, that’s all the attention the unions were able to get out of the president: about ten seconds worth. And in the end, this recall should be an expensive effort by the unions that results in a very public affirmation of the governor who is fighting against them. Fun times. Let’s just hope November is this much fun.

* Obama is really struggling to come up with a good line of attack against Romney. They went after the supposed weird stuff like how Romney treated his dog, but that just led to people seeing how much weirder Obama is. They went after Romney’s association with Bain, but that just showed how he actually has business experience unlike Obama. And they went after is record in Massachusetts, which just showed he has a much better record than Obama has. I think they’re going to try the extremist route next, but I just expect that to show how much more out of the mainstream Obama and his friends are. Considering Obama’s record, attacking is the only option they have, but they just have to find a good one. Maybe if they search around they’ll find that Romney once killed someone… but then we’d probably find out that Obama killed and ate someone. Maybe they should start marketing Obama for his comedy opportunities. I’ll certainly miss him for that.

* In Japan, they’re working on special goggles to make cookies look bigger and plain biscuits look tasty to help people lost weight. That seems like the long way around things; can’t they just have the goggles make people look thinner?

* Since I read stuff, I figure I might as well mention what I’m reading so you can be like me. In fiction, I’m reading Darkship Thieves by Sarah Hoyt (also a fellow blogger who has sometimes subbed for the Puppy Blender). Anyway, she sent me a signed copy because I’m important and special, and it’s a very fast-paced book that I’m enjoying immensely.

In non-fiction, I’m reading The Everlasting Man by G. K. Chesterton. Chesterton seems like a very interesting writer and I wanted to finally read something from him, and so far it’s an interesting analysis of the current science on man — at least from the perspective of the 1920s when much of that was brand new and people were getting a little over-enthused about what they could know through science. Well, I guess that isn’t too different from now.

In video games, I’m still playing Mass Effect 3. I only get a couple hours a week for it, so I’m going through it pretty slowly. Though it’s fun, I feel like I’m playing it more for the story than the gameplay, because after three games I’m pretty invested in the characters as it’s very good writing and voice acting. And I’m curious to finally see this ending everyone is complaining about.

1 Star (Hated it)2 Stars3 Stars4 Stars5 Stars (Awesome) (7 votes, average: 5.00 out of 5)

15 Responses to “Nuke the News: Coming Up with an Attack”

In Japan…can’t they just have the goggles make people look thinner?

If the Japanese could do that they’d already have invented goggles to make themselves look taller.

The only people who can come up with substantive and legitimate complaints about Mitt Romney are conservatives. Of course, at this point, there’s no reason for us to open our mouths, so good luck with that, Barry.

3. Burmashave says:

In case anyone missed the Obamateurism of the Day on Hot Air, Ed points to the hypocrisy in Obama’s tweet:

It’s Election Day in Wisconsin tomorrow, and I’m standing by Tom Barrett. He’d make an outstanding governor. -bo

Physically speaking, “standing by Tom Barrett” is exactly what Obama has not done.

Take a second to picture the reception in Barrett headquarters: “An ephin’ tweet!! I’m beating the streets, and the best he can do is a tweet?…”

“That seems like the long way around things; can’t they just have the goggles make people look thinner?”

I think you’re referring to Beer Goggles.

5. Mxymaster says:

The Everlasting Man is an amazing book. But as with most Chesterton you get on a slow train of reason and next thing you know it’s a roller-coaster through a typhoon. He had a dazzling mind.

So we’ll know the Obama camp is really hosed when they attack Mormonism directly. (“Don’t vote for the Mormon!” says Obama. “Those people are nutty!”) Until it’s completely desperate they probably won’t insult 8 million Americans to their faces. Probably.

6. Ernie Loco says:

In Japan, they’re working on special goggles…

The goggles do nothing!

Also, the one attack we haven’t seen yet from Team Zero is attacking Romney for his Mormonism. I’m not sure why they haven’t tried that yet – maybe they’re hoping to save it for the later in the cycle when more people are paying attention. I don’t know that it will get any traction, but it’s sure better than running on Obama’s record.

7. Iowa Jim says:

Allow me to recommend Chesterton’s novel The Flying Inn. It’s quite enjoyable (even funny in places) and eerily
    prescient. It’s also, as far as I know, the only one of Chesterton’s works referred to in Ernest Hemingway’s work.

8. Colin says:

I really hope you enjoy the Mass Effect 3 ending more than I did. I wanted so hard to like it, but in the end was just disappointed. I wouldn’t wish that disappointment on anyone.

9. Steve says:

THANKS FOR POSTING! We’ve been all over this race on Common Cents…

10. TheRoyalFamily says:

You are reading two books. Why would you do that when you have video games to play?

11. plentyobailouts says:

I read a book once! Just once!

12. plentyobailouts says:

I am hoping the Romney campaign fires back at barry with “Messin with Sasquatch” ads. They can show the occupants wife trying to fit into a pair of jeans while scolding someone about eating burgers. Then the beast gets p.o. and scarfs down a lobster.

Team occupant can attack Romney on his hair, after all it looks suspiciously like john edwards.

13. Larsinkima says:

And I hear those demon Republicans are intimidating voters at cemetaries all over the state! Wisconsin that is.

14. Mike says:

The Everlasting Man is an excellent book, but I think Chesterton’s “Orthodoxy” is even better.

Everything I ever read by G.K. Chesterton has made me laugh And think.
    Kind of like IMAO, kind of.