I Finally Understand the Difference Between ‘Magazine’ and ‘Clip’

Posted on November 23, 2012 9:00 pm

[High Praise! to Gotta Get Drunk First (Adult language - NSFW)]

I’ve loaded and emptied a lot of magazines, but I’ve never used a clip, or even seen one in real life.

1 Star (Hated it)2 Stars3 Stars4 Stars5 Stars (Awesome) (10 votes, average: 5.00 out of 5)

20 Responses to “I Finally Understand the Difference Between ‘Magazine’ and ‘Clip’”

1. USCitizen says:

The M1 Garand uses clips.

Try one, you will fall in love.

2. Michael Z. Williamson says:

http://www.michaelzwilliamson.com/blog/item/the-garand–almost-as-good-as-a-real-rifle Try a Garand. You’ll hate the POS.

3. CTCompromise says:

The clips look like dinosaur claws…
    Magazines have the center fold

4. Choey says:

Yes, the M-1 is excellent but watch out for that clip. When you shove it in the magazine you can easily end up with “M-1 Thumb” when the bolt slams shut on your thumb. It’s an excellent way to build up your vocabulary of four letter words.

5. Mr Evilwrench says:

I slide all my loose 5.56×45 and 7.62×39 onto stripper clips, and with an adapter I can load a magazine faster than I can unload it. M1 Garand is the only one I’m aware of that loads the (en bloc) clip straight into the rifle.

6. Steel Turman says:

Sure you have …

… before the Glock, every cop carried speed loaders (clips) for their revolvers.

@6 – Wait… speed-loaders count at clips?

Huh…

8. Peter says:

Heck, I used the five round clips to fill the magazines on my 1903 Springfield .30-06 in NRA competition when I was in my teens. Clips used to be common. And really, only the same kind of folks that become Internet Grammar Nazis care all that much about the difference in nomenclature. As soon as we got out of boot camp we started callin’ ‘em clips and our rifleguns guns or shootin’ irons.

9. J.M. Heinrichs says:

Keep in mind that before there were “Internet Grammar Nazis”, there were “Quartermasters”.

For further edifications: http://www.theospark.net/2012/11/how-to-field-strip-and-clean-ar-15.html

Cheers

10. Basil says:

J.M. Heinrichs:
    Two things I don’t remember about the AR15 (M16) steps as described in the video. One is that I just don’t remember soaking parts. I suspect there would have been lots of overturned bowls if we had. We used the double-ended brush (kinda looked like a misshapen toothbrush). Didn’t see that in the video.

The other thing? None of the females in the units to which I was attached dressed quite like Ashley. None of the dudes, either, come to think of it.

Well, not often.

11. Iowa Jim says:

You can join the California National Guard for dudes like that. Try a regiment from San Francisco.

12. Keln says:

Anything to help load a magazine would be nice. I remember firing close to a thousand rounds (if you can imagine) in one single day from an M-4 when I was on the range at Knox (in the guards). And most of those rounds were single shots. We had the big containers full of boxes of rounds, and you had to load your magazines, one bullet at a time. Made for a very long day. I absolutely loved my M-4, but my hands hurt after loading mags all day just to turn targets into swiss cheese.

And my only experience with an M1 Garand was spinning them on armed drill team in ROTC. I much preferred the Springfield for spinning rifles, as the protrusions on a Garand ripped a lot of skin off of my fingers over my drill years.

But the Garand is great in Call of Duty…bam bam bam bam bam bam bam bam *pling* is way better than bam *cu-thunk*, bam *cu-thunk*.

13. Keln says:

Oh, and some more things on the M4 carbine…because I am such a fanboi of it…

1. If it jams, it is so easy to clear compared to an M16. And easier to clean.

2. If a wasp lands on your trigger finger while doing qual shots, and you don’t fire when the instructor tells you to because you’re afraid the wasp will get mad and sting you, the instructor will, indeed, ask what is wrong with you and threaten to shove his boot up your, something or other…

3. When you do take the shot, with the wasp on your trigger finger, it does get mad, and it does sting you. But the instructor does not stick his boot up your something or other. So, pick your poison.

4. Yeah, that happened to me.

5. Don’t call me a wuss…if I was sighting down on an enemy, the wasp would have not mattered. But that paper target was not going to fire back, so…wasp!

6. Yes, I tried to wave it away, but it wouldn’t leave my hand. Stupid bug.

7. Yeah, it got away. And yes, I got hollered at for putting my rifle on the ground and throwing my bucket in the general direction of the wasp, while on the range, almost hitting a private next to me, and also conducting myself in a manner “unbecoming” of a sergeant.

8. But what is conduct “becoming” of a sergeant that just got his trigger finger stung by a wasp?

9. I hate the Army.

14. Rayfan87 says:

The whole ‘m1 thumb’ thing has been blown way out of proportion. It has happened to me, but only when I’ve done something incorrectly. It doesn’t close automatically, you have to bump the bolt forward. The only time I’ve ever gotten a finger slammed is trying to single load rounds and not being careful.

15. Keln says:

Not being careful…like in a battle?

16. rayfan87 says:

Not being careful like I made a mistake, the rifle functioned perfectly.

17. CharlieDelta says:

@ #8
    Peter-
    Your comment is so beyond ridiculous I don’t know where to start. Let me get this straight: According to you, wanting something referred to by its proper name makes someone an “Internet Grammar Nazi?” Really. Well then, someone should have told my teachers in school that they were just wasting everyone’s time teaching silly things like English grammar, spelling and definitions because words don’t really have any meaning or definition to them at all; they’re just sounds and they all mean anything we want them to and no one really even cares about definitions, terminology or other irrelevant crap like that anymore.

Why don’t we just start calling tires “rims” and rims “tires?” They’re both round. How about calling bolts “washers” and washers “nuts” since they kinda go together? I mean they’re all just meaningless words anyways. Can we also just start calling 7.62 x 51 “7.62 x 54?” I mean there isn’t that much difference between the two anyways. After all…….they’re both cartridges. While we’re at it, can we start interchanging the usage of “Safe” and “Fire” in relation to firearms too? Yeah, that would be cool! Why not?? They mean the same thing anyways right? Cool! This is going to be a lot of fun!! Yeah, from here on out, there shall be no more markings on the receiver for selector switches. No more color-coding for trigger guard safety switches either. That would just be silly since red and white are the same thing. This is gonna be fun! We can all just sit around making grunting sounds and expect the other guy to know what we’re talking about because only an “Internet Grammar Nazi” would want to understand what the other guy is talking about, or care whether or not a defined word or term is (GASP!!) used correctly.

I was going to ask you what color the sun (Or is it moon? Eh, who cares? They’re both the same thing anyways) is in your world but that might be too Nazi-like and you might not understand such pointless language so I’ll ask you in your native tongue.

[grunt], [grunt-grunt-grunt], [grunt], [grunt-grunt]????

How’s that?

@17 – Best Internet Grammar Nazi parody EVER!

Bacon for CD!

20. Steve says:

Never really bothered me that much, kinda like how folks spell doughnut improperly. BUT just to share a great show of ignorance on the matter, one of my fellow firearms instructors has taken, from time to time, to telling our students that a magazine goes in a double-stack gun, and a clip goes in a single stack. So my 1911 and his Kahr use clips, but my XD and his Sig use magazines. I nearly choked the first time I heard it. I can tolerate using the words interchangeably but… Yup, he has 25+ years in the state police, nearly 15 of those as a firearms instructor. Some people you just can’t fix…