Video Games: Hitman: Absolution

Posted on November 28, 2012 3:00 pm

I like video games. I don’t know why I don’t talk about them more considering I really like video games and like talking about them and this my blog and I can do what I want. As long as Harvey is okay with it.

Anyway, I guess a problem is I don’t often play the latest games when they come out because I don’t have time (I have a full time job, I write in my blog daily, I write columns and work on novels, and am a husband and father — all stuff that gets in the way of video game playing) and because they’re so expensive these days. Ever since I was a kid and got an NES, a new video game cost $50. Now they’re $60. That’s too much. I won’t pay that. I’ll wait until the price goes down.

But the PC Version of Hitman: Absolution was $45 on Steam to preorder it (plus you got this sniper challenge mini game to play right away on preorder — which was a neat promotion idea), so I got that and played it over the week I took off for Thanksgiving.

Now, I’ve played all the Hitman games. The first one sucked. It was a neat concept, but didn’t pull it off well. The second was really good where it got the concept of you aiming to be a silent assassin — to only kill your target and get away undetected. And the others — Contracts and Blood Money — were really good after that. It’s sort of an action puzzler where you have to figure out in each level how to sneak in, kill, and get out without being caught. And this newest one, Absolution… has some of that. It does have some levels which are big open areas and can walk around in and plot, but it also has what seems like a bunch of filler levels in between where you’re just trying to sneak from one end to the other past a bunch of guards. The best levels are where you can walk around in the open and plot and plan your murders and don’t have to worry about sneaking until you go for the kill. Constantly sneaking, getting caught, killing everybody as a stress relief, and then reloading to do the level better gets tiring. Also, the disguises system this time is weird. If you’re wearing a disguise, everyone who has the same outfit will automatically see through it pretty quickly. So if you knocked out a cop and took his outfit, you’re now more suspicious to other cops rather than less and need to avoid them.

Still, I’m still playing the game as it has neat challenges to go back to and achieve on each level. And it has this Contracts mode where other people online go into each level and make up their owns hits to challenge others with. And while it was six years between the last Hitman game and this one, it looks like they’re getting ready to put these games out more often so hopefully they can fix the problems with this one in the next. Because ultimately, secretly murdering people is fun.

1 Star (Hated it)2 Stars3 Stars4 Stars5 Stars (Awesome) (2 votes, average: 3.00 out of 5)

15 Responses to “Video Games: Hitman: Absolution”

1. mikeszekely says:

Y’know, it’s funny that you’ve talked about video games before, and you’ve talked about you’re regular job before, but I never imagined you for a PC gamer.

Will you ever post your Steam ID so we can friend you? I’m mikeszekely, here and on Steam (and just about everywhere online).

Yes, Frank, I’ll let you talk about gaming, as long as it’s PC gaming.

Which Steam destroyed.

I *really* miss being able to just put in a disc and play a game without being hassled by some faceless online corporate buzzkiller startup screen.

3. Frank J. says:

mikeszekely,
    Sure. I’ll put it up. Currently I have no friends on Steam, which makes me feel like more of a loser than usual playing video games.

Harvey,
    Thanks for letting me talk video games. And I like Steam because I no longer have to put in a disk for each game I want to play. I hate how modern PC games made me load 10GB on my harddrive yet still made me have the disk to start. Archaic.

4. Scott says:

I thoroughly enjoy the Hitman series, but will have to wait for Christmas before I will be able to own the newest one. For my murderous rampages, though, my son and I play the Left4Dead games. Can’t get enough murderous rampage!

@3 – It just bugs me that I have to buy a game, but I don’t really own it, because I still need some stranger’s permission (and an internet connection) to play.

What if I just want to sit out in a cabin in the woods and play a damn game?

And what if Steam goes out of business? All your games become worthless.

20 years later, I can still play Doom if I want. 20 years from now, will you be able to play Hitman?

6. Frank J. says:

@5 – You have a point. Same problem with the convenience of Kindle (I hate having to read an actual book now).

7. Comrade Chairman Obama says:

Death to Steam!

Anyone ever play the “Close Combat” series? Real-time WWII combat. The AI engine is so realistic, the Marine Corps uses it. You can play offline, don’t any stupid online account, AND, you can play head-to-head armed with nothing more than your buddy’s IP address. And you don’t need the disc to play, either!

And did I mention, Death to Steam?

I’ve been playing video games since we first got Atari in the late 70’s. Also played my fair share on the TRS-80; also wrote my first programs on the TRS-80, too! :-P

@7 TRaSh-80 rules!

Back in the 80’s, I had the TRS-80 Color Computer with a mind-boggling 4k of RAM.

I actually wrote programs for it in BASIC that were too big for the memory to hold.

@6 – Yeah, I just finished a physical book last week. Great story, but reading is SO much easier when you can set your Kindle down & poke it occasionally instead of having to hold a book open while your fingers sweat all over the cover and your hands keep cramping.

We can put a man on the moon. We can connect people from around the world to simultaneously play online games with incredible graphics. But, we can’t stop wall-hackers?

10. NoMoBama says:

I thought that the way you got stuff cheap was to stand in line for a week outside the store..?

11. ralph says:

Valve says that if they go out of business (which is more or less impossible and even if it did happen the steam platform would be bought very quickly), they’d patch steam to function in off-line mode even when connected to the internet and allow the user to back-up and play the games they own in the future.

Then again using steam is more or less a question of convenience for the gamer, which clearly many people are willing to accept.

12. Keln says:

I also am a PC gamer. I hate consoles. I only use them occasionally to play football on. For everything else, I use my PC that I built. It’s like driving a car that you built yourself versus buying the same chump crotch rocket bike that every other punk on the block rides.

Sure, they accomplish the same task…but I do it in style. And console gamers are stuck with their hardware…I can keep upgrading whenever I want. I have a monster that is too big to fit on an airplane and requires liquid coolant to keep it from bursting into flames. In my book, that is awesome.

And I never liked Steam until more recently, because it actually makes it easy to find, buy, and manage games. Like, I can uninstall games with a click and free up HD space, then turn around and reinstall the games no problem. And they have great package deals for guys like me that missed out on whole series of games, like Call of Duty which I finally played all of not too long ago. But I don’t much care for multiplayer and whatnot, which is the original point of Steam.

And Harvey: you can play Steam games offline. There is a mode for that.

And in 20 years, you will most likely not be able to play Doom. At least, not easily. A lot of great games are no longer playable without a lot of headache to get them running. I gave up on both Star Wars Rebellion, and Aces of the Pacific/Europe a long time ago. And the original Wolfenstein 3D? Looks horrible…if you can even get it running.

@12 – Two words: DOS Box.

I’ve got an 80 MHz system in the basement running Windows 95 specifically so I can play Doom and Descent.

Not that I use it anymore, because I’ve discovered the Doomsday Engine:

Software that lets you play Doom in Windows with majorly upgraded graphic effects.

Doom never looked so good.

14. mikeszekely says:

I used to be against Steam, but years of sales where I was getting nearly new games for $10 and under won me over. Then one day, I was looking for a game that wasn’t on Steam, and I seriously wondered how I was supposed to buy it. If the game isn’t WoW or the current MMO of the week, stores just don’t carry it.

15. Rockin' John says:

I love consoles because every game I put in them is written for those hardware specifications. I don’t have to fornicate around with my settings so that the game will actually display.

As for Kindle/iBooks vs. real books? I am currently reading Atlas Shrugged on my iPad and iPhone (depends which I have with me). On the other hand, I like the feel and, oddly enough, the smell of an actual hardcover book and don’t mind reading them that way, either. Where ebooks make the difference for me is storage. I have 8 bookshelves full of books that I don’t want to get rid of. Kindle and iBooks are great because I don’t have to have it on my device unless I need it.