Warp Drives and the Environment

Posted on November 27, 2012 1:00 pm

I didn’t know people were actually working on a warp drive. Apparently physics does allow faster than light travel if the ship remains still and warps space in front and behind it to move without moving. Theoretically, with warp speed, we could get to Alpha Centauri in weeks even though it’s four light years away.

Yeah, there’s a number of problems before it’s practical, but I’m glad we’re working on it as it should end environmentalism. Because when we have a warp drive, we can eventually find another planet with a even better environment than this one. Then we’ll wonder why we spent all that time whining about harm to the Earth’s environment when we finally have another environments to compare it to and realize it wasn’t that great. I’m just absolutely sick of Earth’s stupid environment and I certainly can’t be the only one. So warp speed, Mr. Sulu!

1 Star (Hated it)2 Stars3 Stars4 Stars5 Stars (Awesome) (5 votes, average: 5.00 out of 5)

17 Responses to “Warp Drives and the Environment”

1. Burt says:

yep, all you have to do is control another dimension…time/space. Einstein had some thoughts on it. I think he claimed you have to take your relatives with you…so I really don’t see the point.

2. Basil says:

Take Frank’s relatives? Sounds a heluva lot better than taking mine!

3. spacemonkey says:

Sulu: Oh MY!

Creating a warp drive is easy, you just need a spacecraft with a windshield and the ability to make stars turn visually into lines. I’ve seen it on TV plenty of times.

5. Mxymaster says:

Funny thing is, when it’s complete it will look like an old London police box.

Alpha Centauri? We can’t even go to the moon anymore.

7. CrustyB says:

So a physicist saw a Pollack holding a Jiffy Pop pan while four other Pollacks shook the stove underneath it and said “Hey! I’ve got an idea for faster-than-light travel!”

If you go faster than light, Schrodinger’s Cat gets really pissed.

9. Rayfan87 says:

All I want to know is how long before I can use the phrase ‘they’ve gone plaid!’

10. Basil says:

You don’t actually go faster than light. Light goes slower than you.

11. Keln says:

Hmm…and I had written off the Alcubierre Drive a long time ago, what with the matter-energy equivalent of Jupiter’s mass, temperatures within the warp bubble reaching trillions of trillions of degrees, and incredible amounts of radiation that would fry anyone anywhere near the bubble termination point as well as the occupants within the spacecraft.

Ok, so they got Jupiter mass down to 7-800 kg or so.

So one problem “down”, a whole host of others to go.

I say we nuke the Moon, and see if that attracts any friendly aliens that can just tell us how to make a warp drive. Much quicker.

12. Bad Science says:

Sounds like bad science to me, so AWESOME!
    Still, there’s this:

From the link: “However, space-time is really stiff”.
    Maybe you could get it drunk first?

14. Keln says:

@Bad Science

Yeah, that is what I meant by frying everything at the termination point. It is assumed that there would be an immense release of ionizing radiation at the end “contracted” point of the warp bubble…like a gamma ray burst. So you would not even have time to say “howdy!” to the possible lifeforms on a target planet before they would all die in a similar manner to being at ground zero of an atomic bomb detonation.

Real GRBs are bad enough. Let’s not go around making new ones. Think about the (alien) children.

Basil, I think that only works with Chuck Norris.

#14 – Keln,
    Hmm… Maybe that’s what Gamma ray bursts Are – alien spaceships backfiring radiation every time they drop out of warp?

17. Annoyed says:

You apes are STUPID STUPID STUPID. Go back into the trees. Instead of understanding subatomic particles and “so called fields”, you decide to change time. You are all idiots.