That Song Is Why I Hate the Beatles

Posted on January 26, 2014 12:00 pm

At a recent presser, President Obama defended his deal with Iran, saying “give peace a chance”.

Lovely sentiment, but I do wish he’d consider giving victory a crack once in a while.

1 Star (Hated it)2 Stars3 Stars4 Stars5 Stars (Awesome) (8 votes, average: 4.50 out of 5)

29 Responses to “That Song Is Why I Hate the Beatles”

1. NO_MO_BAMA says:

It’s a John Lennon song…. all we are saying, is give peas a chance, it’s about vegetables.

2. jw says:

the beatles…probably an improvement over hillary clinton and john kerry.

3. Anonymiss says:

Hey! I LIKE the Beatles’ older stuff. HEY!

4. NO_MO_BAMA says:

IT’S NOT A BEATLES SONG GRRRRRRR

They sounded infantile then and they sound infantile now. But they did manage to leave hundreds of thousands of wet seats behind.

@3 – That was definitely not part of their “older stuff”.

I don’t really have anything against the Beatles, per se, other than their overly-devoted fans worship them and act like nothing good was ever written after 1970

Everybody knows good music stopped happening in 1791

Rest in peace, Wolfgang.

7. GrandLarsenE says:

I was never a big Beatles fan. A little before my time. When Lennon was killed, I was a freshman in high school. A girl in my class asked if I had heard that John Lennon was killed, and I said,”He’s a singer, right?” That’s how much into the Beatles I was. By the way, the best post-Beatles song by an ex-Beatle is still “It Don’t Come Easy” by Ringo. Suck it, McCartney.

8. Basil says:

Grew up a Beatles fan, but I never liked that song. Or Imagine. Or any of his singles up until Mind Games, which I did like, and most of his singles after that. OH, and Beautiful Boy (album track from Double Fantasy) still brings tears to my eyes.

But, yeah, I hate Give Peace A Chance.

9. Tater Salad says:

That song is why you should have a heavy hate on for The Plastic Ono Band. A freshly-dropped twelve-sided turd being more appreciable than the material produced by that pathetic project.

“…nothing good was ever written after 1970.”

You have “Pretty Vacant” and “Blitzkrieg Bop”…both of those being post 1970 and woefully overlooked by the schmucks who hand out Grammys.

10. Basil says:

The Starland Vocal Band won Best New Artist in 1977. That’s all you need to know about the Grammys.

11. Oppo says:

The lyrics to “Gimme Some Truth” (Lennon, post-Beatles) describe this administration to a T.

12. Anonymiss says:

You guys are OLD.

13. Basil says:

You guys are OLD wise and experienced.

FIFY

@12 – Get off my lawn with your Jessie Biebert music and your iPeds and your earbugs. Scat, I say!

*goes back inside and starts hand-cranking Victrola*

15. CCO says:

@7. I gotta disagree and go with “Band on the Run,” but that’s my taste I guess.

16. Basil says:

Okay, Band on the Run was good. Very good.

But Harvey’s point about no good music in the last 200 years? I so want to disagree, but I remember I keep my car radio set on SiriusXM channel 75. So my mouth says one thing, but my ears say another.

17. jw says:

@7

i liked “it don’t come easy”, too. i also liked “you’re sixteen”.

18. Basil says:

You’re Sixteen was a cover of a song from 1960. Ringo did a good job, though. His version hit Number 1 in the US, higher than the original did on the Billboard Hot 100.

And that album it’s from, Ringo, is great. That was the first album since Let It Be to feature John, Paul, George, and Ringo all performing. Oh, and It Don’t Come Easy is one of the bonus tracks on the 1990s reissue, making a great album even better.

And Give Peace A Chance still sucks.

19. Mr. Right says:

@17 “You’re Sixteen” was a 1974 Ringo cover of a 1960 single by Johnny Burnette. Don’t know that that one counts.

I think John started spelling his name Lenin sometime after Abbey Road was recorded and underwent a talent-ectomy that lasted until it partially grew back in time for Mind Games.

20. Mike in OH says:

Awwww, c’mon Basil, I like me some Afternoon Delight :-)

21. RAML says:

I enjoy Mozart and all the other light classical names I can’t spell. But then there is ac-dc, Lenard Skinner and so many more. The only ones I don’t and cant stand is “The Boss” from New Jersey. Cant think of his name but “41 bullets” was one of his s–t songs. I am also not all that found of country

22. jw says:

@21

springsteen sucks, i agree. albinoni, corelli, telemann …those kinda names?

@18 & 19

“you’re sixteen” counts if we are talking about performance, not writing. in which case, does george harrison get credit for “my Sweet Lord” or not?

never much cared for ” band on the run”

23. Denise says:

Liked the Beatles well enough. Their early stuff was good but I preferred the “Strawberry Fields-Penny Lane” era better. After they split, I would have to rank George Harrison the best (Dark Horse, Cheer Down), followed by Ringo (I love drums), Paul and John last.

My favorite Beatle…George Harrison and with this song I rest my case. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQ8VFOMcNyg

25. Tater Salad says:

You darned Hippie with your handcranked Victrola!

Nothing beats the true sound of the cylinder on an Edisonograph! I swear, when I listen to the collected speeches of Grover Cleveland, I can hear the bristle of his mustache and the crinkle of his starched wing collar!

Ah, patriotic America, President Cleveland on the Edison, a cheroot and a whiskey while seated on a daveno on the verandah as the Missus bakes bread in the wood-fired stove.

*stands on Tater’s lawn*

27. Tater Salad says:

*instructs the iceman to chase off the unruly whippersnapper, places a cylinder of Chester Arthur’s speeches on the Edison*

28. c64wood says:

Give Peace A Chance was Lennon and not Beatles. However, I went to see Rain (a Beatles tribute band) in St Louis last November and they did that song. I threw up in my mouth. The rest of the show was fab.

Mozart, Beatles and Fountains of Wayne. Don’t get no better than that.

29. walruskkkch says: