I Want It Because It Touched a Nuclear Inferno

Posted on March 5, 2014 10:00 pm

Consider this the Official Mineral of IMAO:

It’s only $33… I am SO tempted…

1 Star (Hated it)2 Stars3 Stars4 Stars5 Stars (Awesome) (6 votes, average: 4.33 out of 5)

14 Responses to “I Want It Because It Touched a Nuclear Inferno”

1. Oppo says:

“While highly radioactive when formed in 1945, at present it [sic] radioactivity level is close to zero.”

Wait — so I must have misunderstood what I was told about half-lives in school.

What ceases to be radioactive in 70 years?

(I assume it must be non-radioactive now, or the Post Office would go ballistic if they detected any of this being shipped.)

2. Les says:

Or you could pick up a few lots of the stuff and sell IMAO-themed displays. You’re welcome.

3. Les says:

#1 — Apparently it’s pretty darn safe, but you wouldn’t want to sprinkle it on your post-apocalyptic toasties.

I thought “the official mineral of IMAO” was the State Metal of Alabama: automobile rust.

(Can’t find the link to your “Fun Facts About The 50 States” for this one.)

5. Skul says:

I bought two pieces of that at a museum in Hastings, Nebraska, right around 1958.
    Wasn’t dangerous then, doubt it is now.

6. LC Russ says:

Dad worked for a “contractor” as a test engineer for 30 + years, was at White Sands NM often. Brought home some Trinitite that He said “Musta’ fell into his pockets” as it was illegal to remove or possess at the time.

7. Oppo says:

There’s a new bumper sticker for JANEANE: “You can’t throw your child through Nuclear Glass!”

8. c64wood says:

Cool. You could use it as bait when you go fission. Just keep your ion the bobber.

@1 – http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isotopes_of_silicon

Most radioactive isotopes of silicon have half-lives of less than 3 hours. They’d be safe to handle the next day.

The one isotope that has a half-life of 153 years gives off its radiation through beta decay, not gamma or neutron, so it’s not particularly dangerous. Your normal street clothes will protect you from that

10. Oppo says:

Are you yanking our chain to get a reaction?

11. Oppo says:

@9: Thanks Harvey!

12. Glenn555 says:

I’d like some to tape to my nut sack, for when the lights go out after the oncoming EMP. Sorry, sometimes I can’t help myself.

@12 – I assume you mean to say that you have a pet squirrel and you’re worried about locating his food supply in the dark?

@4: http://www.imao.us/index.php/2012/05/fun-facts-about-the-50-states-alabama/

There, I found it. I was feeling guilty for not linking it.

And it’s “automotive rust.”