Random Thoughts: Colbert, Writing Tips, and Vulgarity

Posted on March 31, 2014 9:00 am

We’re surrounded by miraculous things, but rare is the person who get to see them for what they truly are.

The reason you see such joy in small children is they see the world for what it truly is, with no preconceived notions.

Since no one asked me, I don’t really find Colbert funny, but I don’t care about this controversy either.

My main tip on being a good writer is to somehow come into possession of skills you were born lacking. Like consume a soul or something.

This leads to a number of obvious jokes, but I can’t print any I came up with because they all involve vulgarity.

Yes, I don’t speak vulgarity, but I think them constantly. I’m a raging cuss storm inside.

1 Star (Hated it)2 Stars3 Stars4 Stars5 Stars (Awesome) (2 votes, average: 5.00 out of 5)

15 Responses to “Random Thoughts: Colbert, Writing Tips, and Vulgarity”

1. calcpa says:

If I were McCain, I would want that legislation named after someone else, too.

Colbert has the comedic range of Ray J. Johnson.

3. Basil says:

Immigrants have less trouble crossing water than did Ted Kennedy, so maybe they should name it after someone else.

4. AT says:

We live in such an epic age of awesome. With tech and progress so fantastic that 50yrs ago it would have been considered sci-fi. I love stories about medical advances that truly change the lives of people.

Seems odd that this nation is hellbent on jamming a wrench in that motor and/or slamming the vehicle that is our advancement into a wall. (I also find it somewhat disturbing that a sect of the various disabled communities are against this kind of technology. Like it robs them of their identity or something, which they’ve built around their disability.)

Colbert IS funnier than Piers Morgan…but not by much.

6. AT says:

True that. I gave Blueberry a marshmallow for the first time last night. She was beside herself with joy.

Mom loved the pictures. Didn’t much care for the sticky mess.

7. coldguy says:

I’m interested to see where this Colbert thing goes in terms of the “RACISM!” screams from the poo-flinging monkey liberals.

I mean, we know what to expect when a Republican or conservative says something that can even remotely be twisted into being considered racist, but we also know that Stephen Colbert is a fake Republican, just pretending to be a conservative for the sake of satirizing them.

Will the screeching monkeys fling poo at one of their own in GOP clothing, or will they circle the wagons and demand tolerance for an act of protected free speech, as the statement was a mere homage to Rethuglican insensitivity?

8. AT says:

@7 – I’ll tell you:

“Was the remark racist?”

Q1 – Was it funny/satire/meant to “provoke a response”/said by a minority?
    If yes – Not racism.
    If no – See Q2.

Q2 – Was it insensitive?
    If yes – See Q3.
    If no – Impossible, everything is always insensitive to someone. Go to Q2, answer yes.

Q3 – Do we like this person?
    If yes – Go to Q1, answer yes.
    If no – Racism.

Feel free to save that. It’s a handy flowchart of a liberal’s brain.

9. coldguy says:

@AT – Very handy and accurate flowchart that really boils down to: everything everyone ever says is racist, but we (liberals) will ignore it if its one of us, and charge racism if its to our political benefit.

To my question, it seems that the hacks at the Post obviously realize that Colbert is one of them, as they are demanding that context be observed! I wonder if the average Obama voting ilk like those at HuffPo will be in on the joke?

So… am I the only one who doesn’t know what Colbert said?

11. Dohtimes says:

Harvey, it was fairly tame to be censored in a news report, something about creating a ching chong ding dong foundation for sensitivity. About as useful as an Irish sobriety checkpoint.

12. Basil says:

Harvey:
    It was Colbert’s response to the Washington Redskins (potatoes) setting up some “Original Americans Foundation.”

I thought it was actually one of the funniest things he’s said. Which ain’t saying much.

@12 – Oh… got a link?

14. AT says:

Here Harv:

@14 – Thanks for that.

My professional criticism of Colbert’s tweet – it was good satire, but it failed because the joke wasn’t self-contained. It needed a reference link & didn’t have one. He shouldn’t have assumed everyone knew about the Redskins thing.

This might’ve worked better:

“Redskins’ Snyder launches Redskins Original Americans Foundation. What’s next? Launching Ching-Chong Foundation for Oriental Sensitivity?”

This way the burden of insensitivity stays on Snyder, and the satire is obvious and unquestionable.