Random Thoughts: Fracking, Ban Bossy, and Dr. Who

Posted on March 11, 2014 8:44 am

What if fracking causes California to break off the continent and float out into the sea? Seems worth a try.

I tend to fall asleep sometime before midnight on New Years and then wake up grabbing people and screaming, “What year is it?!”

If you haven’t hired Edward James Olmos to be your spokesman on fracking, you obviously don’t truly care much about the issue.

1st step for a Rand Paul presidential run would be for him to put his father in a retirement home with lots of activities to keep him busy.

It’s not enough to donate millions of your own money; you have to be for confiscating other people’s money.

BAN ALL THE THINGS!!! #BanBossy

If we ban the word bossy, then I’m stuck calling assertive women “uppity.” #BanBossy

For pete’s sake, haven’t we all heard enough about Lena Dunham for one lifetime?

Isn’t it much more empowering to say you can succeed focusing on yourself instead of focusing on the behavior of others?

What are the odds that feminists don’t consider our jokes about #BanBossy to be funny?

My 3yo daughter is getting kinda bossy. Should I encourage her leadership skills or take away her Hello Kitty doll? #BanBossy

Got to my first Dr. Who episode with the famous Dalecs in it. “Eliminate! Eliminate!”

I do like how in this newer Dr. Who how they’re doing their best with creature designs originally made in the 60s on a shoe-string budget.

1 Star (Hated it)2 Stars3 Stars4 Stars5 Stars (Awesome) (5 votes, average: 5.00 out of 5)

35 Responses to “Random Thoughts: Fracking, Ban Bossy, and Dr. Who”

1. Anonymiss says:

They can’t. Because they might fail. And then it would be *their* fault. And that is, frankly, unacceptable.

2. Matt Musson says:

I have always like Jeff Dunham but don’t really find the appeal
    of his puppet Lena.

Lena Dunham – the only woman on TV whose ratings drop when
    she disrobes.

“What if fracking causes California to break off the continent and float out into the sea?”

And then tip over…

I’ve heard enough about Lena Dunham for nine lifetimes.

5. Peregrine John says:

Don’t want it called being bossy? Right, then, we’ll skip straight to calling it bullying.

@5 – I still call it “naggy”. Do the dames still find that one offensive too?

7. Ogrrre says:

If we ban the word bossy, then I’m stuck calling assertive women “uppity.” — Also, a certain “b” word that rhymes with “Twitchy” comes to mind. And, while Michelle does have certain bovine characteristics that makes “bossy” seem appropriate, the other “b” word I mentioned also fits her personality quite well.

@7 – I assume you mean “bewitchy”, which I guess is some sort of euphemism for the way Endora acted.

9. Anonymiss says:

I’m not a feminist, but here’s how I see it.

Bossy, naggy, bewitchy…they are all negative. Most people don’t like negative labels being associated with them. Whether or not they are offended, however, is their own choice.

If you called a man those things, no one would think it was negative.

But a bold woman? I’m not so sure.

What do you think?

@9 – I think that if you give a feminist a sincere compliment (like saying she’s an “effective leader”) she will move heaven and earth to find a way to be offended, like:

“You didn’t SAY it, but I *know* you meant to add ‘…for a woman'”

or

“Why did you call me an ‘effective’ leader? Is it because you’re shocked that not all women are ineffective?”

Some folks are simply determined to be unhappy. I try not to make rescue projects of them. I’m too busy being happy with my own life.

11. AT says:

Heard? I think we’ve seen enough of Dunham to last a lifetime.

Even pixellated out, her body is the thing of nightmares.

12. Rayfan87 says:

There’s a difference between leadership and being bossy. The most effective leaders, even if they are just giving directions, do it without being bossy.

@9 – A bossy woman may be determined, assertive, bold, ambitious – those are all fine. But a bossy woman is necessarily overbearing, pushy, or offensive – characteristics not attractive in either sex.

That the word bossy is generally only used to describe women is just a quirk of language. When was the last time you heard a woman called a “Neanderthal”?

14. Tater Salad says:

Bossy is a fine word, don’t see why it should be banned.

What should be banned is the encouraging of women, from girlhood on, to think that being *bossy* is perfectly acceptable. Do not raise your daughters to take that hands-on-hips, do-what-I-want-NOW-or-I’ll-pitch-a-fit attitude. Do that and strike a blow against domestic violence.

What man hasn’t wanted to lauch out of his chair when his beloved betrothed get’s *bossy* right during a crucial moment in sports or a tv show? Stands right in front of the screen so she’s the center of attention? Sure, if a pipe bursts, the toilet blasts up a geyser of brown water, the car spontaneously combusts in the driveway, that’s immediate stuff. Everything else can wait until the next down, they make the free-throw, or the end of the show, ok?

15. Anonymiss says:

Domestic violence is never okay.

No matter *what* she does.

16. AT says:

@14 And damn it, that sammich isn’t going to make itself!

I guess I don’t really relate to this issue because my wife and I communicate well have an understanding of actual priorities. No need to be bossy (or any other adjective) when you know what is and isn’t important to one another.

17. Oppo says:

Janeane weighing in on this discussion would be irony rich beyond compare!

18. Anonymiss says:

@16 I do relate.

19. Oppo says:

There are 3,418 pejorative words in the Webster’s New World Dictionary, by my count. (Your count may vary. I didn’t really count.)

Are we going to ban them all?

If not, what criteria would be used to select which ones are off-limits?

Can a language function with all pejorative words eliminated? (The answer is no.)

There is no such thing as a banned word in the American system of government. A self-imposed ban is possible, but, like charity, once it becomes imposed from outside, it is illegitimate.

If “bossy” were banned, could we refer to it as “the b-word”? What then happens to the other “b-word”? Will we have to start spelling out banned words in order to distinguish one from another? There’s a lot about this I don’t understand.

20. CrabbyOldBat says:

Anonymiss says: Let’s see. Can we think of a positive way to describe that sort of person? Determined? Assertive? Bold? Ambitious?

If you called a man those things, no one would think it was negative.

No-one thinks it is a negative when a woman is called “determined,” “assertive,” “bold” or “ambitious,” either. “Bossy” is meant to be pejorative, for someone who has crossed the line, just as “pr!ck,” “@ssh0le” and “jerkwad” are meant to be negative, for the man who has likewise crossed the line from assertive behavior to bullying aggression. The fact that some pejorative terms tend to be gender-specific (b!tch, d!ck) does not make them hate crimes against persons of that gender. Lighten up, b!tches.

21. Iowa Jim says:

Explain to her that only people who can parallel park are allowed to be bossy.

I grew up with 5 sisters and several of them were bossy and still are. And they’re liberals! Hehe.

You do the correlation.

BTW, Crabby – you’ve got to be the most analytical woman who’s ever commented here!

23. Dohtimes says:

Oh look, the N word has just decided to ban Roger Goodell.

24. Tater Salad says:

Let me clear up a few things.

I’m not condoning or encouraging domestic violence. I’m suggesting a means of avoiding potential instances of domestic violence and I gave an example of that avoidable behavior which could lead up to acts of domestic violence.

What’s a guy to do, if he isn’t irredeemably p-whipped, when the *bossy* woman in question storms into the room with a full head of steam, right in the middle of hubby doing something or being involved with something, and the gal DEMANDS that something be done NOW or ELSE?

Don’t ban the word, ban the behavior. And the impeccable timing.

With all due respect, if you’re acting *bossy* you need to be reminded that you’re not Cleopatra on that barge scooting down the Nile. *Bossy* short circuits all the nice and loving that could be in that moment.

25. Oppo says:

I was wondering where this whole issue arose, and then it hit me. Hillary.

Did they interview a bunch of focus groups, asking them what the biggest negative impression of Hillary was, and decide to get it off the table as a criticism that is acceptable in polite company, before moving down the list to her next liability?

I mean, seriously: until all media outlets crammed this story and sudden campaign down our throats this week, who was concerned with the word “bossy” last week? Where did it even come up?

26. Oppo says:

And

I am not going to stop using “bossy” before Meryl Streep publicly apologizes for playing the character she did in “The Devil Wears Pravda” — or Sigourney Weaver apologizes for that ballbuster she played in “Working Girl.”

After all, don’t they promulgate a “negative stereotype of aggressive women” that is far more widely seen and heard than just lil’ ol’ me saying the word “bossy”?

Why don’t they give back the money they made playing such negative stereotypes?

27. Anonymiss says:

@24 Yes, the woman could change her behavior to please him so he doesn’t hit her.

Or… the man could just not hit her.

Whose responsibility is it if he hits her?

His.

Yes. Even if she’s bossy. Because we’re supposed to control ourselves. Bossy is annoying. Hitting is unacceptable.

There is *no* excuse.

I know. I know. I’m bossy. :P

But I kinda think this is important.

@25 Cookies to Oppo! I agree. Liberal thinkers: “How can we call any anti-Hillary people racist? She’s white! Oh yeah. Let’s make the word “bossy” taboo. No one can describe her without using that word :)

28. Tater Salad says:

@27

…or…the woman could do her bit when there’s a pause in the action.

“Honey, when you have a moment, the chandelier just fell down from the ceiling in the dining room and I don’t want to cut up my feet on the shards.”

Rather than “Ron, hey Ron, the damn chandelier just fell down and you need to clean it up!” “Uh, dear, could you move a jot to the left, they’re about to make a field goal, I’ll get to that in a sec, ok?” “No, d@mn!t, you clean it up NOW! I mean, didn’t ya hear the big crash? Why’re ya just sitting there?”

Of course, the man could just not hit her. Goes without saying. But the woman could just not be a full tilt, fire breathing pain below the belt line too.

What, all those “empowered” women are incapable of thinking in advance? Or is it just down to getting a thrill out of bugging their hubby in a nice bit of passive agression?

29. Anonymiss says:

@28 To tell you the truth, I’m somewhat aghast that you’re making this argument.

I doubt she could “think in advance” about a chandelier falling. I don’t imagine she caused it just to interrupt your game. I’d guess that it probably rattled her pretty good. She was asking for your support.

If the game is that important to you…more important to you that *her* well being, I bet she’d like to know that now rather than later.

Good luck.

Men should never hit women. That’s the rule.
    But, hypothetically, if the woman in question is 2 inches taller and 100 pounds heavier than me, and is trying to steal my car at the moment, could I possibly get an exception to that rule?
    Hey, it might happen….

@ 4of7 – “Hey, it might happen….”

No it wouldn’t – I’ve seen your car.

32. Tater Salad says:

@29

Folks, what we appear to have here is classic illustration of gender-based interpretations.

The point I was making was that the woman should “think in advance” before charging in and making a scene. NOT that the woman show some kind of Kreskin-like foresight about falling chandeliers or other household mishaps. As I said before, Hubby is watching the game, during this game some household event occurs, perhaps the aforementioned falling chandelier.

Now, the *bossy* Missus (the central point of this thread) would charge in and demand focus be placed on her. Here is where the “think in advance” bit would kick in. The “empowered woman” should be able to ask herself several questions: 1) Is this an emergency (injuries, severe structure damage)? 2) Can it wait? 3) Can I walk around it?

Oh, and we don’t know that she didn’t cause the chandelier to fall do we? Maybe the Missus and the Hubby are into some weird stuff inclusive of swinging from light fixtures and after many fun moments the thing just dropped from the ceiling.

It’s all in how the thing is handled. Call the Hubby over during a commercial if it’s NOT a crisis rather than being a *bossy* pain.

33. Basil says:

I’ve been hearing about Doctor Who. Is it any good?

34. AT says:

I heard it’s a ripoff of Firefly.

35. Frank J. says:

Basil,
    I don’t think you’d like it.