Random Thoughts: Star Wars, Sterling, and Racism

Posted on April 30, 2014 9:00 am

I don’t know how to make charts or animated GIFs. Now I know what it’s like to come to this country and only speak Spanish.

I think the NY Daily News should just make it their thing to blame an AR-15 for every major news event.

Let’s all stop racisming each other, you guys.

Do libertarians ever stop and think that if it weren’t for the drug war, we’d have never gotten the show Breaking Bad?

Libertarian philosophy doesn’t make any sense. Like, should anyone be able to own a nuclear weapon? And where would you buy one? Lowe’s?

The Star Wars VII cast list is a bunch of people I never heard of and old people.

I don’t care about the people; how many lightsaber battles are in it?

But how much of the new Star Wars movie will be devoted to the senate debating trade embargos?

Hopefully in the 30 years since the previous movie, Luke rebuilt the Republic into a bunch of Jedi devoid of personalities.

Star Wars Episode VII: Rise of the Gungans

Sterling can still watch basketball on TV, right?

“And he’s banned from Dick’s Sporting Goods. He can’t even buy a basketball.”

It’s possible Adam Silver overstepped his authority, especially when he declared the entire country under martial law.

Money can’t buy happiness. And there are apparently many other important things it can’t buy too.

Can anyone really own a basketball team?

Don’t fear Sterling; fear the racists who don’t have a basketball team to worry about losing.

I don’t find it that amazing when an old person is a racist; if you’re from my generation, though, you really had to work at it.

Like the first thing I remember being taught in school was to not be racist.

In America, we should always be very very slow to declare a viewpoint out of bounds.

It’s not illegal to do everything in your means to shutdown speech you disagree with, but it often makes you a bad American.

I’m okay with saying racist speech is out of bounds as long as we can distinguish actual racism from the idiots yelling “racism” constantly.

1 Star (Hated it)2 Stars3 Stars4 Stars5 Stars (Awesome) (6 votes, average: 5.00 out of 5)

41 Responses to “Random Thoughts: Star Wars, Sterling, and Racism”

1. Oppo says:

“Should anyone be able to own a nuclear weapon? And where would you buy one?”

“Sears”

Lived in some very white areas, though, so we were happy when we finally got a black student so we could not be racist to him.”

Yeah, but you’re still racist according to Liberal philosophy because you thought about it. Also, because you’re white.

“Can anyone really own a basketball team?”

Yes, but only those who can afford to lose a great deal of money.

“Can anyone really own a basketball team?”

You mean like the Harlem Globetrotters own the Washington Generals?

5. Iowa Jim says:

I like Lowe’s just fine, but the nearest one is forty miles away (there’s a lot of that sort of thing in small-town Iowa), so I’d probably buy mine on the web.

6. NO_MO_BAMA says:

Isn’t “owning” a team of black people basically slavery? BAN BASKETBALL NOW! (unless the team is owned by a black person of course, they can’t be racists or slave owners).

So when is someone going to record the players in the locker room expressing their views of the white devil that owns them?

7. jw says:

Star Wars Episode VII: Rise of the Gungans

Hans: what’s that noise?

Luke: just a Gungan din

8. jw says:

Money can’t buy happiness.

poverty won’t buy it either.

“I’ve been rich and I’ve been poor. Believe me, rich is better.” – Mae West

10. jw says:

money won’t buy happiness, but it will allow you to search for it in some interesting places.

11. jw says:

“If money can’t buy happiness, I guess I’ll have to rent it”

“This Is the Life”, Dare to Be Stupid (1984)

-”Weird Al” Yankovic

12. frogmouth says:

Star Wars Episode VII: Rise of the Gungans

103 minutes of Jar Jar Binks doing it Gungan Style.

@10 jw: The real mystery is why do people get happier with age? (Frank doesn’t know about this because he’s still wet behind the ears.)

@12 frogmouth – Gungan Style

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2df6x2YEeu8 (first 60 seconds)

@13 Jimmy – as an old man, I’d say I’m getting happier with age because I’m learning from my experiences to make better choices.

@14 Harvey: Yeah, but not putting walnuts in cookies is hardly a better choice! Walnuts are clearly delicious and should be in most everything. Bring it, anti-Walnut fans.

Besides, anyone who hasn’t at least turned 50 is not “an old man.”

16. Gusto Smooth says:

Did the drug war give us ‘Breaking Bad?’ I thought it was the health insurance crisis. I always disliked the premise of the show. Do insurers owe some endless $ amount in benefits to pay for cancer treatment. It’s very expensive. It’s a moot point now, thanks to Obamacare, because those decisions are now made by government.

No one has brought it up either, but ‘Breaking Bad’ was, you guessed it, racist. Not enough blacks.

I’m waiting on BET to come out with their own similar TV show with some disadvantaged underprivileged at-risk urban youth who turns to a life of crime, or basketball, to promote social justice or health care reform.

17. Les says:

“If the Empire doesn’t stop blowing up planets, we plan to send them a sternly worded letter. And good luck rebuilding that Death Star with all the sanctions we’re gonna throw at ‘em! Meanwhile, we’ve decided to discontinue the X-wing fighters, making for a leaner rebel force. Speaking of leaner, the empress has ordered a cutback in rations. Our new ‘smart-wing’ fighters just won’t accommodate Porkins-sized pilots.”

18. jw says:

@13 Jimmy

i’m not sure that people do get happier, unless relief that the old ticker started again this morning counts as happier.

all those studies were done by youngsters.

@15 Jimmy, again

i agree about the walnuts

19. Burt says:

My town doesn’t have a Lowe’s either… Guess I could try a Mom and POP store

I have a real ally in jw.

Walnut lovers, unite! Stand-up against the IMAO walnut suppressors!

Walnut compressors are okay, however.

21. Chip says:

No, buying from a retail outlet means you are paying too much. Even more so from those big-box stores because they have to pay for all that square footage somehow.

If you go to your town center, or if you live in a city go to a neighboring town center, and find some mom-and-pop shop and get one there. The customer service is usually a lot better AND you help out the local economy.

@21 Chip – Wow, seriously? Have you never heard of BestCheapNukes.com? Yeah, it’s mostly old Soviet refurbs, but I’ve never had a problem with any of the kilotonnage I’ve bought from them.

23. CCO says:

Why would you buy a nuclear weapon and miss out on the fun of building your own? The tedium of collecting your own critical mass I could do without.

24. jw says:

why buy. just hire the local kids:

bet this gets me moderated

@24 jw – Yup, 2 links = automatic moderation.

If it didn’t, the terrorists would win…

26. Basil says:

I remember the day in high school when a friend and I ran across plans for an atomic bomb. This was, like, 1974 or something. Before the Internet. Never could figure out where to buy the plutonium. Besides, I’d’ve had to picked butter beans all summer to come up with the money.

Good times.

27. Chip says:

@ 22 Harvey …. yeah, but if you aren’t careful the shipping costs can actually make them more expensive than your local mom-and-pop outfit.

And I don’t about your town center, but mine has this awesome old pharmacy that still has a lunch counter so I make a trip out of it. I stop by and pick up a nuke, then go have a grilled cheese sandwich and a real cherry coke. And the lady over the grill who is easily over 200 years old has a cigarette hanging out of the corner of her mouth with a two-inch ash on the end that you just know is going to wind up in your food, yet somehow never does. I think she is a witch, but that is getting kind of far off topic…..

28. CCO says:

@24, JW– Fusion reactions don’t count because they don’t explode; but I would like to send the kid some old lithium batteries to help out. (I think that’s what he was using, if he’s the same guy I heard about awhile back.)

@26, Basil, did your parents have the deal with you that my parents did–pick one bucket and go the house to start shelling them while we finish up? Did they get a butter bean sheller and mess up that deal?

29. Basil says:

CCO:
    When I was little, it was pick all day, then shell that night while the women fixed supper.

When I was older, it was ride the bed of the truck out to the field, pick all day, get paid after the ride back and the tally up.

There was better money in cropping tobacco, but I never did like tobacco, so I picked beans and peas.

30. jw says:

@28 CCO

we’re just going to have to disagree on that one:

31. Basil says:

Well, now, H-bombs use A-bombs as the trigger, and the fusion of material will trigger additional fission reactions. Then…

Never mind. My brain is sore.

32. CCO says:

@29 Basil–but with tobacco you don’t have to bend over as far the next time (since you crop from the bottom up, assume we’re both talking flue-cured tobacco.

@30 JW–carelessness on my part; nuclear (fission) reactors don’t explode (except when they build up hydrogen gas). I was assuming the same would be true of fusion reactors, although David Weber shows different results.

33. Basil says:

CCO:
    Oh, lotta folks worked tobacco, and got paid well (compared to picking butter beans), but I’ve disliked tobacco (smoking, smokeless) for years, so I never had anything to do with it. Missed out on some good money, but that’s just how I felt about it. Just me being me.

34. jw says:

@31 Basil and @ 32 CCO

lets remember that this is imao where we mount rocket launchers on dinosaurs. we were discussing whether lowes or the local mom and POP, or sears, was the best place to buy your nuclear bomb.

do we really want to start discussing pinch effect (yes, i’m that old) toroidal wells, anomalous diffusion etc?

my 13 and 14 y/o’s can blow up your 13 y/o and all you kids get off my lawn.

35. Basil says:

Home Depot

36. jw says:

Bed, Bath & Beyond

37. Basil says:

Yeah, definitely the Beyond section.

@37 Basil – reference link:

39. CCO says:

@34 JW, well, I could use a review myself since my basic background is a little thin in actual fusion reactor or atomic weapons design. Given a choice of the ones you specified, I’d probably start with Sears. Lowe’s is pretty good though.

40. CCO says:

@39 Wasn’t there a (Tom Ligon?) article a few years back on the electric method–basically using vacuum tubes to fuse deuterium?

41. raml says:

#13 Alzheimer’s of course. You can’t feel sad about your life if you can’t remember it.