Random Thoughts: Frozen, Superheroes, and Christopher Nolan

Posted on May 19, 2014 9:00 am

When you pay that much for college, there should be someone on hand at each university whose job it is to slap obnoxious idiots.

Faculty and students.

And we’re absolutely sure the camel thing isn’t a parody? This is getting beyond believability.

I really like Frozen, but the prominent face-heel turn in it makes absolutely no sense.

My son has turned one; time to start teaching him a useful skill. It’s never too early to prevent your kids from being hippies.

Sometimes I forget not everyone has spent hours reading tvtropes.org and thus don’t know all the common terminology from it.

Do you know that every political opponent that Clay Aiken has been in a tight race with has died mysteriously?

So as I’ve learned from Green Arrow and Hawkeye, purchasing a composite bow from Dick’s is the easiest entry point to being a superhero.

Hmm. Didn’t get my Koch brothers check this week. Guess I’ll go back to tweeting how much I love government.

You had me at “directed by Christopher Nolan” but the trailer still helped.

I learned my lesson about avoiding a Christopher Nolan movie because the premise sounded boring when I finally saw The Prestige.

1 Star (Hated it)2 Stars3 Stars4 Stars5 Stars (Awesome) (2 votes, average: 5.00 out of 5)

16 Responses to “Random Thoughts: Frozen, Superheroes, and Christopher Nolan”

1. AwesometificAmerican says:

I was finally forced to watch Frozen because it was Mother’s day and my wife and my mom both wanted to watch it.

All the songs were great but it just seemed like someone wrote a bunch of catchy songs designed for the singer to belt out as if each song was the main song and then crammed a movie around them. You could almost see the director going, “Crap these characters have done nothing but talk for 5 minutes without singing. Maybe we can just have them sing the dialog.”

So as far as all the folks raving about how great this movie was they were just listening to the songs. The movie as a whole was ‘Ehh’ at the most.
    Now after writing a comment about a the merits of a Disney musical about princesses I think I need to find something to smash in a manly fashion as a cleanser.

“prominent face-heel turn”…

The… what?

I’ve seen the movie, and I’m not sure what you’re referring to.

3. La Longue Carabine says:

Got as far as

then the rest of the day disappeared.

4. jw says:

@2 Harvey,

i haven’t seen the movie and i didn’t understand it either.

so, have we covered all the bases and no one understands it ?

@4 jw – the question is… does Frank understand it? There are a some peculiar eddies in that genius brain of his.

Well, some of us have a vested interest in not seeing it in order to maintain our status as ‘minimally cultured.’

7. Frank J. says:

Harvey,

Hans. He suddenly turns evil after being super-good the whole movie — even saved Elsa and told her not to become the monster everyone thought she was.

Face-heel turn.

@7 Frank – Huh… I didn’t know it had a name other than “lazy scriptwriting”

9. Basil says:

So, having a great grandmother that used to sit in her rocking chair with her snuff can and the TV turned to wrestling was all so I’d be the only one to get the “face-heel turn” reference without looking it up?

My whole life has been leading to this?

@9 Basil – yes, the prophecy has finally been fulfilled…

11. Mike in OH says:

The only Hawkeye I know used a flintlock, not a bow. Much cooler fake character than some goofy “superhero.” :-)

12. Mike in OH says:

…am I the only person who thought Frozen was boring? Not saying that because I don’t like Disney movies; quite a number of them are among my favorite films…

13. DL Sly says:

Sorry, Frank, but I had that guy pegged for a poseur from the first time he appeared on-screen. Same with the VES, my daughter. She picked him out as the bad guy immediately. I guess, in that respect, I’m doing something *right*.
    0>;~]

They should have replaced that camel with an aardvark. Who cold complain about an aardvark?

15. Denise says:

An ant would complain, if it had a chance before being hoovered by an aardvark. Whoever named aardvarks anyway? It’s like they had to make sure their animal was listed first in the yellow pages.

16. Fly says:

LOL @10 Harvey and @15 Denise! I like this thread. :)

So, it is with a heavy heart but an appeased conscience that I must join Mike in stressing that Frozen is not a good movie. It is in fact a bad movie. The spurts of funny dialog and lyrics cannot make up for the senselessness of plot and message, nor the din of songs.

“But the songs are so catchy!”, you say. Indeed! Each song has a full six notes of melody and almost-harmony which are hammered unremorsefully into your skull, wrapped tightly with insipid vocalization of the fake-musical variety using techniques which, given the mindless praise it has received, I can only assume were extracted from the MK-Ultra program.