They’re Talking About Ladyball

Posted on July 1, 2014 10:00 pm

[High Praise! to Winning at Everything]

1 Star (Hated it)2 Stars3 Stars4 Stars5 Stars (Awesome) (3 votes, average: 5.00 out of 5)

15 Responses to “They’re Talking About Ladyball”

1. Anonymiss says:

“Ladyball”?

I think I take issue with your title, Harvey. :P

The American Ladyball team got knocked out of World Cup today.

Don’t cry girls. You did your best. We’re saving a prime space on the refrigerator to display your participation ribbon.

@1 Anonymiss – Sorry, my Empress, but the time to take issue with “Ladyball” was about a month ago:

@2 DamnCat – Speaking of the fridge, better have a freezer full of Haagen Dazs to console them with.

4. Oppo says:

Well, that should be the last we hear of Pffft-ball (known as “Sucker!” to Americans) forever.

5. Anonymiss says:

@3 Harvey: You are a snot! Why is it okay to associate LADIES with SOCCER, huh? I don’t wanna be connected with the yawn…I mean sport…any more than you guys do.

Geez.

Can’t we all just be friends?

7. Bob B says:

Don’t force me to produce a yellow card here…

@5 Anonymous: Well, if an ancient commenter by the name of “ussjimmycarter” were still here, he’d probably say it’s because LADIES invented “nancying around.” But he’s not here, so he wouldn’t say it.

OK, so we call it “Liberal-ball”. (or is that an oxymoron?)

@5 Anonymiss – while I agree that it’s rude of me to disparage the fairer sex like that, the simple truth is that it’s a necessity as a matter of semantics.

Fact is, no other word connoting “non-masculinity” has quite the same lyrical quality to it as “lady”.

Although Jimmy’s implied suggestion of “Nancyball” is close.

11. Anonymiss says:

@10 Harvey – I still don’t like it. What about “Yawnball” ?

or…if it MUST be feminine (which I still don’t understand) then “Girlieball”? I’ve heard “girlie” used to describe guy stuff that is not masculine. “Lady” is the counterpoint of “gentleman”. Let’s not disparage it.

@11 Anonymiss – good points. I’ll take it to the readership:

13. Ogrrre says:

” … it’s rude of me to disparage the fairer sex like that…” Women? FAIR? In what freakin’ universe? Whoever labeled women the “fairer” sex knew nothing about women.

@13 Ogrrre – figure of speech. Discussion of the origin of the phrase here:

15. James says:

The guys who play the game are in truly magnificent physical condition, so Ladyball is a bit harsh. I can go with Yawnball though because the average game has about as many goals as a batch of Anonymiss’ cookies have walnuts.