50 State Steretypes: Does Summer Matter?

Posted on August 4, 2014 10:00 pm

Back in January, I posted this map:

and CCO [High Praise!] said:

Let’s see the map again in July or early August and see how many say “hot”.

Well, it’s been a pretty cool summer so far, but it’s August now, so let’s give it a shot.

Now, I’m far too lazy to do all 50 myself, so I’ll ask for help. Just do your home state & leave your results in the comments (you can do more than one state, if you want, but that’s your call).

I’ll start:

When I Google “Why is Wisconsin so”, my top autocomplete result is “cold”.

Your turn.

1 Star (Hated it)2 Stars3 Stars4 Stars5 Stars (Awesome) (4 votes, average: 5.00 out of 5)

31 Responses to “50 State Steretypes: Does Summer Matter?”

1. Edward says:

Ohio is still “important”

2. Westing1992 says:

Pennsylvania’s top result is still ‘haunted’, but several of the first few results are in reference to this map. The next three results are ‘humid’, ‘corrupt’, and ‘backwards’.

3. Gendaibushi says:

Why is New Mexico so enchanting?!?! I think someone in the tourism industry must be bolstering that result. NM is ok, but I grew up here so maybe I’m just a little disenchanted.

4. Gun Nut says:

KY is still the same, “why is kentucky so poor” followed by boring, humid and racist.

5. Jay says:

My top result for Texas was conservative. Followed by awesome and hot.

6. Gajim says:

Why is Georgia so humid.
    Florida – hot
    Alabama – racist
    South Carolina – racist
    Tennessee – awesome
    Michigan – poor

When I tried Wisconsin I got “boring”. SAT

7. kmccoy says:

Interesting that Massachusetts (as Ed “Ice Cream Man” Markey calls the “Brain State”) has results that don’t include Massachusetts but does include an Octopus. Thought this link was interesting, looking into why Gloucester is easily deceived by Oba I mean Edmund… http://www.boston.com/yourtown/specials/why_is_massachusetts_town_so/

8. kmccoy says:

P.S. Used Bing first, Google is for progressives

9. Eric Praline says:

Top result for Washington was “depressing” followed by “liberal”. Top result for Iowa was “boring” followed by “windy”.

10. CCO says:

NC is still “cheap.” (Tell that to the folks in the corners of the state paying 30 cents more a gallon for gasoline–no joke; 65 miles away it’s at least 20 cents more a gallon, same chain of stations, same state excise tax.)

And yeah, I saw less rain when I had to go to Fort Lewis (south of Seattle) for two weeks to support ROTC camp back in 1996; but maybe that was unusually dry for Washington as July and the start of August have been wet here. We’ll keep praying for Hurricane Bertha to split the difference between here and Bermuda, and I’ll guess we’ll be okay. Years like this one (as oppose to 2008, e.g.) show the truth to grandpa’s saying that “dry weather will scare you, but wet weather will ruin you.” Of course, on the gripping hand, there’s the Flood of the Century that came after Hurricane Dennis hit us (twice!) and Hurricane Floyd followed it. It wasn’t flooded everywhere; it’s just there were floods everywhere you wanted to go–including their houses for some people.

11. Karen says:

Why is Alaska so… ‘Expensive’, ‘cold’, ‘important to the us’, and ‘far away’.

12. Bob B says:

California is still “so expensive”, but if you start typing “Why is California…” the top search return is “broke”!

13. heresolong says:

I got “liberal” and “rainy” as the top two results for Washington. Interesting that it apparently depends on either who you are or where you are.

14. heresolong says:

Praline, were you on Bing? You are distorting the results if you use a different search engine. I did Bing and got what you did.

Why is Tennessee so… 1. backward. 2. racist.
    Why is North Dakota so… 1. cold. 2. flat. 3. boring. 4. conservative. 5. windy.
    Hey! those are North Dakota’s best qualities! (Cold, flat, boring, conservative and windy – keeps the Riff-Raff out!)

16. Apostic says:

In Google I get the following for my original home state of Indiana

boring
    flat
    humid
    Republican

Regarding that second one, folks might want to come down to the southern part of the state where we couldn’t afford Ice Age glaciers like them rich folks up north could.

Of course, as I start typing it, I get: “why is indiana jones ride closed”

17. Denise says:

Why is Missouri so (1) racist, and (2) Southern. Hmm.

18. Ken Allen says:

Why Is New York so:
    1 dirty
    2 cold
    3 big
    4 famous

19. Vaktatunnen says:

Why is Maryland so
    1 Democrat, 2 Expensive, 3 Corrupt, 4 Awful ?
    Oh. Sorry. Those are my questions.

20. newshutz says:

Why is Minnesota so 1.cold 2.liberal 3.great 4.healthy

21. Amer-I-Can says:

Why is Missouri so humid….. “summer, duh”

22. jw says:

@16 Apostic-

for indiana i got “…called indiana”. followed by “famous for racing” and “boring”.

23. Iowa Jim says:

Why is Iowa so humid?

@9 It is indeed windy here. It’s also, I suppose, boring. I prefer to regard it as peaceful, which is a big part of why I choose to live here.

24. Rockin' John says:

Why is New York so:
    1. dirty
    2. big
    3. far away
    4. expensive
    5. amazing

When I change it to “Why is New York State so”:
    1. expensive
    2. liberal

25. Anchorman says:

#10 for Pennsylvania is “conservative.”

Without Philly, PA would probably never go Dem.

Think New Jersey would take Philly if we threw in Taylor Swift?

26. TGregg says:

Michigan comes up poor, humid, cloudy. . . and then awesome!

27. Doug says:

Indiana – should have been ‘cold’, Indianapolis having just had its coldest July on record.
    As for ‘Republican’ – Indiana voted Obama into office in 2008. That was pretty cold also!

28. CCO says:

I just tried again with using “Why is NC so…” and I got “humid.”

Do you get different results with the abbreviations?

29. silaS marreD says:

Why is Nebraska so … corny.

30. 11Charlie says:

Utah is still so… Mormon, then dry, and then boring.

31. Miss Haha says:

Arkanas: poor (Hello! Ever hear of the Waltons? The Tysons? Poor? I think not.)