Republican strategy to beat Obama

Posted on August 23, 2011 6:26 am

The good news for Republicans recently has been that polls have shown that a generic Republican beats Obama. The bad news is that when “generic Republican” is replaced with an actual Republican, Obama wins.

Not any more.

Latest polling shows that some actual Republicans beat, tie, or are within the poll’s margin of error, according to ABC News:

Former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney leads Obama by a 48 percent to 46 percent margin, while Texas Gov. Rick Perry ties the president at 47 percent. Obama bests Ron Paul by a 47-45 divide and Michele Bachmann by 48-44 split. All results are within a 4-point margin of error.

What does this mean?

I dunno. Does anyone know what Americans’ political thought processes are? I mean, a majority of voters actually elected Obama in 2008. So you can’t depend on most American voters to do anything that makes sense. So I’m not sure we can make any sense out of this poll.

But I’m not going to let that stop me from trying.

Maybe this means that Mitt Romney, Rick Perry, Ron Paul (RONPAUL!!!1!!1!!!!), and Michele Bachmann are actually generic Republicans.

All this time, I thought Tim Pawlenty was. But, since T-PAW decided to drop out of the race, theres an opening for a generic Republican. And, it’s being filled by fake conservative (but good-for-business) Mitt Romney, almost conservative (but plays one on TV) Rick Perry, speaks right when facts aren’t involved (John Wayne/John Wayne Gacy, Elvis’ birthday/death day) Michele Bachmann, or sh*t-house rat crazy Ron Paul (RONPAUL!!!1!!1!!!!).

What about the other Republicans? For example, my guy, Herman Cain?

They didn’t ask. At least, when I read the full poll, I didn’t see where they paired up Cain and Obama. But, among Republicans, Cain and Perry has the smallest “unfavorable/strongly unfavorable” totals. As for favorable, Cain and Romney came in second in “favorable/strongly favorable” to Rudy Guiliani, who’s not running.

What all this means is that a lot of Republicans can beat Obama. Maybe even more than they poll.

This shows what the Republican strategy for 2012 will be: don’t be Obama.

Which sort of screws it up for Huntsman, who worked for the guy. But maybe not. Remember Romneycare and Obamacare? Mostly a matter of scale. But Romney beats Obama. So, maybe not even Jon “Obama’s a remarkable leader” Huntsman should be counted out.

Still, not being Obama looks like a winning strategy. Particularly since Obama appears to be still blaming Bush for everything.

“I’m not Obama” beats “I’m not Bush” hands down.

1 Star (Hated it)2 Stars3 Stars4 Stars5 Stars (Awesome) (9 votes, average: 5.00 out of 5)

Tags: , ,

16 Responses to “Republican strategy to beat Obama”

1. silverfiddle says:

Pawlenty was too generic, Herman Cain is not generic enough for the MSM. They keep saying Hunstman is the threat to Obama. How come we stubborn rightwingers aren’t listening this time?

2. Iowa Jim says:

I think that we should stick with the generic Republican. I have just the guy: Bob Smith. He was a US Senator from New Hampshire. He’s seventy years old, which some voters won’t like, but he’s about as generic as a Republican gets. He even sort of left the Republican party in 1999. You can read about him here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_C._Smith

3. Bratgirl says:

I think Iowa Jim is close to the right idea, but should have stopped at “stick with the generic Republican”.

Really, that works for me! Just a generic idea that isn’t actually an entity that will DO anything. Yeah…that’s the ticket! Think of how much the country could recover with a do-nothing president in office for four years. It’s so crazy, it just might work!

4. hwuu says:

I wish one option would be to leave the position vacant for awhile.

So the media is trying to McCain us again this year with Huntsman. Thank goodness Huntsman is uncharismatic, boring, and even more obviously worthless than John McCain.

That being said, part of me is reminding the rest of me that I’m (We’re?) an independent voter because the Republicans can always exceed expectations for stupid decisions.

6. Rock Throwing Peasant says:

I anxiously await the media’s switch in polling from “registered votes” to the general public to give Obama the illusion of recovery.

Herman Cain’s main problem is that he sounds too much like Don King when he speaks.

8. CarolynthePregnant says:

Okay, I officially changed my mind: I am no longer drinking the Perry-ier. I’m circling the party and still deciding… and using a voodoo doll to make Ron Paul do fun, silly stuff.

9. plentyobailouts says:

Huntsman is a plant. literally. If you look down the back of his collar you see leaves. Other than photosynthesis. he is a useless obabma drone.

They keep saying Bachmann can’t win because she scares the bejeebers out of them.

I almost wish newt would run.

T-pawlenty was a quitter.

I hope romney endorses the winner by giving them his hair.

Basil, just remember: An anti-American foreigner who never held a job in his life or won an election running against another candidate, an anti-American woman who’s only qualification was being married to an impeached president that made our country into a global laughingstock, and an anti-American crooked lawyer who made babies with other women while his wife was dying of cancer is a STRONG FIELD OF CANDIDATES.

Anything that the Republicans put forward is a WEAK FIELD OF CANDIDATES.

See how that works?

11. storm1911 says:

I’ve got this sinking feeling, regardless whoever our presidential candidate is, RonPaul 11!!11!!! will be veep. RonPaul !!!11!!11, the Joe Biden of the GOP.

12. Crabby Old Bat says:

Perry-Cain 2012! Just to watch the Democrats throw every racist epithet they can at the tame, house-Nword, Uncle Tom Oreo who agreed to take second place – those RACIST!!!!! tea-bagging Rethuglicans would NEVER allow a black man, I mean person of color, I mean African-American, to take first place – on the ticket. The election in “post-racial” America will turn into a racial brawl, because racism (plus union subsidies) is how Democrats keep power. It should be very enlightening.

13. IMAO » Blog Archive » Nuke the News: Why in the World Isn’t Obama Popular? links:

[...] kind of expect some more people to jump in the race, though, just by the virtue of the fact that polling is now saying pretty much anyone could beat Obama (even RON PAUL!!). If you can claw your way through the primary, the only thing left standing [...]

14. bugbuster says:

Events will overtake whoever gets elected, so it doesn’t matter. If one of the wackos gets elected, they will make so many mistakes in the first week or two that the backroom pros will have to take over, and we’ll have another W. If Europe tanks before the election, it also won’t matter, because the US and Europe will be the new Norway. The good news there is that now it will be India and China doing all the military adventuring, and the US deficit will magically disappear.

15. Chris in NC says:

Ok, As I’ve said a number of times, by the time the 2012 elections come around we could run a Casey Anthony/OJ Simpson ticket and win. He’s not going to win no matter who we put up. So this time let’s find someone who will govern with IQ and not become a democrat lite like Bush did and McCain would have.

Not only would Herman Cain hold his hand over his heart when the National Anthem is played, he could sing it too.