Why the Second Amendment Matters: The Battle of Athens – UPDATED 4-5-12

Posted on April 4, 2012 8:05 pm

[High Praise! to 4of7]

Funny how my history teachers always managed to skip over this perfect example of the proper use of armed force to resist oppression:

[YouTube direct link] (Viewer #969,518)

The Battle of Athens was an armed rebellion led by WWII veterans and citizens in Athens and Etowah, Tennessee, United States, against the tyrannical local government in August 1946.

Wonder if this is related to the current adminstration’s obsession with “rightwing extremist activity”?

Just so you know, this video exhibits professional production values, and a tightly-edited script. Once you get past the opening title cards (which provide essential background information), it goes right to “can’t stop watching.”

UPDATE 4-5-12: Apparently this is a very shaved-down version of a movie called “An American Story.”

I notice it features G.W. Bailey, whom I recognized from his fine work in the Police Academy franchise.

UPDATE 4-6-12: Linked by Keep and Bear Arms

1 Star (Hated it)2 Stars3 Stars4 Stars5 Stars (Awesome) (9 votes, average: 5.00 out of 5)

15 Responses to “Why the Second Amendment Matters: The Battle of Athens – UPDATED 4-5-12”

1. DonP says:

RTKBA indeed!

2. Cromagnum says:

The history of the incident

Excerpt:
    “The Lessons of Athens

Those who took up arms in Athens, Tennessee:

a wanted honest elections, a cornerstone of our Constitutional order;
    b had repeatedly tried to get Federal or State election monitors;
    c used armed force so as to minimize harm to the law-breakers;
    d showed little malice to the defeated law-breakers;
    e restored lawful government.

The Battle of Athens clearly shows:

1 how Americans can and should lawfully use armed force;
    2 why the Rule of Law requires unrestricted access to firearms;
    3 how civilians with military-type firearms can beat the forces of “law and order”.

Dictators believe that public order is more important than the Rule of Law. However, Americans reject this idea. Criminals can exploit for selfish ends, the use armed force to restore the Rule of Law. But brutal political repression – as practiced by Cantrell and Mansfield – is lethal to many. An individual criminal can harm a handful of people. Governments alone can brutalize thousands, or millions.”

I have to share this High Praise! with my sister who sent me the link.
    Share it with your friends.
    The more people who know it’s possible, the less likely it’ll be that we have to do it again.

“When the people fear the government there is tyranny, when the government fears the people there is liberty.”
    ― Thomas Jefferson

4. Mike says:

Wow, this is effing incredible! Thank you for posting this!

This is about seven different types of awesome.

6. tomg51 says:

thank you. I had no idea.

7. Les says:

There wouldn’t have been any trouble at all if it weren’t for those bitterly clinging to guns and religion. If only the National Guard had shown up, taken out all those dangerous zealots and put the power back into the hands of the authorities.

Nothing like this could ever happen nowadays, because there are simply no corrupt sheriffs or other officials. And what are the odds of needing weapons against organized crowds of people rioting, looting, vandalizing property, etc? It could never happen here. And even if it did, all we would have to do is dial 911, and legions of burly commandos would instantly appear to take care of everything.

The only danger now is a massive outbreak of racist neighborhood watch vigilante types who go around shooting suspicious people at the drop of a hoodie. We must put an end to this growing problem — right after we deal with other important issues, like reactionary judges who think they have the right to adjudicate laws based on an old, outdated rag called the Constitution — oh, and after we make sure that nobody has to pay for their no-baby pills.

I always knew I had good reason to love that Volunteer State.

9. Goth Bunnyy says:

That is powerful beyond words.
    This looks like a clip from a full production, anyone know wehre I can find the whole piece?

10. Les says:

It’s from An American Story, 1992. I see that Hallmark has an edition coming out soon. http://www.annscardsandgifts.com/dvd_an_american_story.php

And I see one “used” DVD on Amazon for $777.77. Riiiight.

11. Les says:

Give me that $777.77 and I’ll stop by and reenact the whole movie for you using cashmere sock puppets.

12. Conservatarian says:

I’m quite ashamed that I was unaware of this amazing historical event. God Bless America! God Bless the wisdom of our Founding Fathers!

13. Joe Doakes says:

I will include this historical fact in a letter to The President of The United States, at the appropriate time.

Thank you for bringing it to all of our attention.

14. TheFlyingPhoton says:

Anyone else go to the YouTube page for that video? It’s the only video on YouTube I’ve ever seen where a majority of the comments are competently written (from both sides of the political spectrum) and are longer than three-quarters of a sentence.

The video is up to 1,039,289 hits; 7,126 likes, 35 dislikes.
    Every little bit helps.
    #14 – TheFlyingPhoton,
    You’re right, the comments were unusually cogent for YouTube.