Driving Is About to Become More Expensive with Less Freedom

Posted on May 5, 2011 3:01 pm

Do you feel driving doesn’t cost quite enough? And are you worried that the government doesn’t have enough of your money? Plus, do you think the government isn’t closely monitoring you quite enough? Well, Obama has a great plan for you: Let’s tax people based on how much they drive!

I guess what’s happening here is that the government has been promoting electric cars and are now starting to get worried, because while they do want people to use less gasoline, they still want all the tax revenue they would get from that. So voila! The government will now monitor you’re driving and tax you based on it! So, more taxes plus invasion of privacy — pretty awesome combo. And like when we started the income tax and made it the government’s business to know how much money we earned, many got the idea to then try to control incomes. So what happens when they know how much we drive?

Man, we really lost the plot on this whole freedom idea a while back, but if the idea is to tax things we want there to be less of, here is my idea: Let’s tax coming up with proposals that increase taxes and take away freedom. In fact, if any politician proposes anything like that, let’s confiscate everything he owns. Awesome idea.

1 Star (Hated it)2 Stars3 Stars4 Stars5 Stars (Awesome) (25 votes, average: 5.00 out of 5)

29 Responses to “Driving Is About to Become More Expensive with Less Freedom”

1. Bantha_Fodder says:

so… a “stupid tax”?

2. Mxymaster says:

If we could tax arrogance, the proceeds from the greater D.C. area alone would enable us to buy the rest of the planet and retire.

3. rayfan87 says:

How exactly would they fit the device in the vehicle? They would only be able to require it on new cars, so all they would do is decrease sales of new cars and force people to drive older ones longer.

4. Basil says:

My 3-year old Chevy has On*Star. I logged on to my On*Star account to check something, and there on the Web page was my odometer reading.

The technology is already in place.
    Excuse me while I go beat my head against the wall.

5. Johnny45 says:

Confiscate everything he owns AND give him a musket to the junk.

6. EdthePastor says:

Well crap! I live in the country but close enough to the big city to drive an hours to pick up stuff for church, food pantry and attend ministry events. All of which I “donate” the expense as part of doing the Lord’s work. So next I will be taxed because I feed the poor, clothe the naked, visit those in prison and in hospitle care and attend ministry events. I know I’m supposed to pray for my leaders but I think my prays will change a bit. It may start with “Smite them Oh Lord!”

7. ussjimmycarter says:

Look for about a 1972 Pontiac. The speedometer was simply unscrewed from the cable that ran into it from under the dash. (Use to do it all the time when my parents left for the weekend to troll all over drinking beer and when they got home the car hadn’t moved an inch). Then get a drill, and connect to the cable and spin it backwards. You will be deleting miles from your car and the Government will obviously have to pay you for the miles that you lost! An old car salesman’s trick. On new cars the odometer is tamper proof so this doesn’t work… Where there’s a will there’s a way. You want me to pay by the mile, I will drive a turd…I mean, I won’t drive a turd, I mean my turd will drive backwards somehow and you will owe me money! I’ll bet they pay too!

Hey, Ed, you’re a pastor, so can you tell me if Jesus would be cool with my feeling nothing but hatred for these people?

9. Rayfan87 says:

Basil, I have a ’94 S-10, no On-star. Are they going to pay to put something on my truck that already has over 200,000 miles on it? I’m not going to.

10. Ernie Loco says:

Can we just shoot them instead? Or maybe program a robot to shoot them for us.

Basil, stop! Or am I too late?

Some of the states have been considering such a system for years now. Nah, it’ll never fly. Wait… !

12. Burmashave says:

You gotta read the article to truly appreciate the craven inanity of the administration.

The plan is a part of the administration’s Transportation Opportunities Act; however, according to the White House spokesperson, “This is not an administration proposal….This is not a bill supported by the administration….and does not represent the views of the president.”

Sooooo, members of the administration get to release their own special proposals? This would not stand in a Fred D. Thompson administration.

But wait, if you order now, you’ll also receive a new public relations department to help you feel good about the new tax, “…to serve a public-relations function, as the draft says it should ‘increase public awareness regarding the need for an alternative funding source for surface transportation programs…’”

In other words, you folks will like the idea a whole lot better as soon as the government explains why you should like it.

13. Mr. M says:

I could support taxing how much you drive based on a certain limited number of conditions.

First, the government repeals all gasoline taxes. If we are being taxed based on how much we drive, we should not have to pay a tax on gasoline to do it.

Second, must tax people who live in blue states more then red states, since the blue state drivers put all their wear and tear on government highways, while us poor red state folk do a lot of our driving on poor country dirt roads. Besides people in blue states like to talk about how the rich people should pay more, and how all us red state folk are just a bunch of poor hill billies living in trailers. Well, at least when they are not complaining about the Republicans being the party of the rich.

14. EdthePastor says:

Sorry MarkoMancuso Jesus said to pray for those who despitefully use you, submit to authority and render unto Ceaser the things that are Ceaser among other incredabily difficult things to do. But of course He is God so its easy for Him. Separate the insane policy from the people. Despise the policy but keep it. Oppose it to the fullest extent of the law. As crazy as it sounds these guys THINK they are doing great good. Pray for the man oppose the policy.
    If possible, so far as it depends on you, be at peace with all men. Romans 12:18

Aww, shucks, Ed. I reckon I’ll be a good boy to please Jesus, but, aww, shucks.

16. Burmashave says:

The new t-shirts are here! The new t-shirts are here. I’m somebody now! This is the kind of spontaneous publicity that makes people. Things are going to start happening to me now.

17. Terry_Jim says:

How exactly would they fit the device in the vehicle?

Subdermal injection.

They don’t need to monitor no steenking vehicle
    if they track the driver.

Think of the safety and freedom we will enjoy,
    if everyone’s movements are tracked, all the time!

18. Terry_Jim says:

Things are going to start happening to me now.

Sniper(poaging through phonebook): Burmashave, Navin R…
    sounds like a typical b@$+tard…

Stay away from the cans, he hates those cans!

19. NO_MO_BAMA says:

I’m all for it but since it needs to be fair (liberals love that word), people who drive Priuses and Volts and Not So Smart Cars will have to pay double at least, after all, they’re depriving the children of all that gas tax money and I don’t think that’s very faaaaaaair of them.

Hey! Wait a minute…..buy gas, pay gas tax….drive….buy more gas, pay more gas tax…..I think I might already be getting
    taxed by the mile!! >:[

What was that about not raising taxes on ANYONE who earns under $200,000/yr? I don’t make that much so I guess I’ll be exempt, phew, I was worried for a minute.

20. kdmccoy says:

I’m gonna start driving everywhere in reverse – I’m gonna make a friggin FORTUNE!

21. Rob in Katy says:

This on top of the tax that we already pay for driving… you know the 15% tax on fuel…

22. DonP says:

So, my handyman business puts a total of 40,000 miles on 2 vehicles. Increases in the price of fuel have already forced us to pass those costs along to our customers(economics 101). Another tax on the mileage driven would be another clever way for the communists in washington to punish success.

23. ussjimmycarter says:

Can’t you just hear those idiots in the White House after the Seals shot Bin Lauden! “We are huge!” “Nobody can tell us no now!” “Obama is warrior in chief!” “We shall propose a tax on miles driven and all shall bow down before us because we got Osama!” “We are like gods!” “Quick, someone take a picture from floor level!”

24. Shawn says:

Have we not about taxed vehicles to death anyway? We are taxed on the money we earn before we go to buy them, we are taxed when we buy them, we have to have a lic and ins and tags and in most states inspections, we are taxed when we buy oil, wiper blades, tires, and anything else that goes in/on them, we are specifically taxed on gas, and we have property taxes. By the time all is said and done a car or the money put toward it is taxed like 6-8 different ways, and now they want to add another layer!!!!!!!!! There has to be a line in the sand and this just might be it.

25. Conservatarian says:

A little help with how to pray for our “leaders”

26. Silverfiddle says:

We’ve got to reduce our collective carbon footprint, as the environmental advocates who fly around in jets and live in mansions keep telling us…

It’s rather interesting that left-wing “media” and politicians attempt to portray the Tea Party movement as radical, extremist and somehow without merit. Yet, the original tea party that helped launch the revolt against England, a war, and the formation of this country was over far, far less taxation and government intrusion.

28. Crabby Old Bat says:

As long as we are taxing mileage, we have to include private jet flights, including Air Force One, even though it technically is not a “private” aircraft.

@Rob in Katy: What a whiner. 15%? Really? Come to California and we’ll show you how it’s done. We have a Motor Vehicle Fuel License Tax PLUS a Motor Vehicle Fuel Tax (whaddaya mean, what’s the difference? There is an extra word in one of them) PLUS an 8.5% sales tax PLUS special regulations that force oil companies to make a special blend of fuel for California (that costs them around a penny per pound to make, but since it’s a captive market and we HAVE TO BUY that fuel, the additional price passed on to consumers is much, much higher), AND there’s an intrastate transport tax for diesel engines – it’s tax utopia, here. Ya big baby.

@EdthePastor: Aren’t churchly activities exempt from taxation? First Amendment and all?

29. EdthePastor says:

@Crabby Old Bat: Yes, no and maybe. It takes a good accountant to figure it out for the “yes”. You would be supprised at what is a “no” and the “maybe” usually requires much paperwork and a bit of “Simon says” to qualify. The best thing is I’m FICA exempt, its against my religion to pay for SS and not get it.