America’s 2007 Corn Crop a “Failure”, Top Democrats Tell Bush

WASHINGTON (AP) – Top US congressional Democrats bluntly told President George W. Bush Wednesday that American farmers’ spring planting “surge” policy was a failure.
Senate Majority leader Harry Reid and House of Representatives Speaker Nancy Pelosi challenged the president over this year’s corn crop by sending him a letter, ahead of a White House meeting later on Wednesday.
“As many had forseen [sic], the springtime planting of seed corn has failed to produce the intended results,” the two leaders wrote.
“The increase in seeds in the ground has yet to produce a single edible ear of corn so far this year.

“This corn is a dismal failure. It’s time to pull it out.”

“Far from fulfilling its promise of putting steaming, buttery ears on every table, this crazy planting scheme has done nothing so far but cost this country’s farmers most of last year’s profits, as well as causing them to spend all their time coddling these high-maintenance vegetables.
“Clearing the land, plowing, weeding, fertilizing, irrigating, spreading pesticides and herbicides – not to mention the over 1000 farmers that have lost their lives in unnecessary tractor deaths so far this year – when will the madness end?
“And what do we have to show for it? It’s already mid-June and not a single plant has borne fruit. In fact, if these trends continue, it’s safe to predict a nation-wide corn famine that will bring this country to its knees.”
The letter appeared to preview a fresh showdown over how to raise corn between ignorantly citified Democrats and the President, just a few weeks after Bush forced his foes to strip pre-autumn harvest timelines from a Department of Agriculture budget bill.
Pelosi and Reid told Bush in the letter that they planned to send him new legislation to “limit the attempted growth of corn in the US, begin the phased redeployment of US farmland, and bring the growing season to a responsible end.”
The next critical point in the showdown between Bush and Congress over the 2007 corn crop is expected in September, when US Secretary of Agriculture Mike Johanns is due to report on progress in the strategy to let the corn grow until at least October before attempting to harvest it.
However, one senior Republican speaking on condition of anonymity said he expected the president will have little choice but to make adjustments in the harvest schedule, once the report is made public.
“I know Bush means well,” he said, “but let’s be realistic. Since the spring planting ‘surge’ began, not one single corn farmer has grown anything but leaves.”
“I can’t see how another four or five months of continuing to follow this failed policy will lead to anything but more of the same,” he concluded.

11 Comments

  1. Does Harvey write for The Onion?
    That piece is the perfect example of Democrat thought. They are all looking for the instant gratification, and as (alleged) adults, they should know that it takes time for things to work. If they want an immediate end to the hostilities, there’s a few dozen helpers sitting in silos out at Vandenberg and Minot.

  2. SmokeyBehr…don’t forget us here at Malmstrom either. We are also all dressed up and nowhere to go.
    This was a funny one, except to us in the food growing heartland….it isn’t too far from the truth since now we are getting reports of our food prices going to skyrocket by end of summer because of all the corn being taken to make into ethanol to solve all our energy woes. just saw it on Fox a couple days ago….

  3. Could the crop failure be due to the fact that all the fertilizer (Cow Crap) was tied up in the production of future politicians? I believe the current production ratio of politician to crap is 1/1! There have been studies using substitutes, but the end result was a similar, current crop of Chicken-Shit…

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.